Apr 17, 2012, 11:39 AM EDT
Derrick Rose is never going to escape the Jordan comparisons. Doesn’t matter that their games are different, their generations are different and the NBA is different. He’s the star of the Chicago Bulls and every player in that spot for the rest of eternity will have impossibly large shoes to fill.
Rose is not only doing as well as one could hope filling them, he has accepted that comparison as part of it. He embraces it.
Rose sat down with Will Leitch for a fantastic profile in this month’s GQ. Rose talked about embracing Jordan and his legacy.
“What’s wrong with getting close to the best person that ever played the game? I’m not scared of him; if anything, it makes me work harder when I do train.”
The other guy who was a big fan of Rose? Barack Obama. Rose used to see Obama in his neighborhood all the time. Not that he paid attention.
“I remember when he wasn’t our president, when I was a kid, when he’d just be walking down the street, a state senator. He was just always there. I didn’t appreciate it then. I was in high school and just wanted to see rappers.”
Obama, not much of a rapper. I’d tell him to work on it, but not sure that skill really helps him out in the swing states.
What I found most interesting in the piece was how the humble, pretty reclusive Rose is dealing with stardom — particularly in Chicago, where he would be mobbed if he just tried to go to Lou Malnati’s for a pie.
“The more you win, the more they come. Don’t get me wrong. I don’t take anything for granted. But it seems like the better I play, the more attention I get. And I can’t get away from it. You play great, you get attention. But I hate attention. It is weird. I’m in a bind…
“It gets on my nerves that I can’t just go out. It’s just boundaries now, people are like, ‘You can’t go here, you can’t go there, you got to let that person know where you’re going.’ It’s just weird. I’m never alone. Ever.”
Go read the whole piece online. Frankly, you could use the fashion tips, go to the newsstand and pick up the entire issue.
- Report: Clippers just need owner’s approval to finalize Garnett, Rivers trade 9
- PBT Extra: Previewing Heat/Spurs NBA Finals Game 7 10
- Utah Jazz bring back Jerry Sloan as team consultant 6
- Celtics, Clippers restart Doc Rivers-Kevin Garnett trades talks at Chris Paul’s wish 14
- Chris Bosh to fans who left Game 6 early: ‘Don’t come back for Game 7′ 44
- NBA Finals Game 6: Heat comeback in fourth, win in overtime to force Game 7 (125)
- If Spurs win, it is LeBron’s legacy that will take biggest hit (85)
- Lakers unlikely to sign and trade Dwight Howard to the Clippers, Rockets, or anyone else (81)
- Chris Bosh blocks Spurs’ Game 6 comeback attempt (video) (80)
- Heat’s Big Three dominate Game 4 to even the Finals at two games apiece (74)
- Play Video: Bosh: 'We'll see who hits first'
- Play Video: Clippers, Celtics discussions 'can't be wrong'
- Play Video: Elliot looks ahead to Game 6
- Play Video: The Hype: How much would you pay to punch someone?
- Play Video: If Heat lose, 'all hell will break loose'
- Play Video: Green breaks NBA finals 3-point record