Derrick Rose embraces the Jordan comparison, says he didn’t get Obama

Apr 17, 2012, 11:39 AM EDT

Rose GQ cover

Derrick Rose is never going to escape the Jordan comparisons. Doesn’t matter that their games are different, their generations are different and the NBA is different. He’s the star of the Chicago Bulls and every player in that spot for the rest of eternity will have impossibly large shoes to fill.

Rose is not only doing as well as one could hope filling them, he has accepted that comparison as part of it. He embraces it.

Rose sat down with Will Leitch for a fantastic profile in this month’s GQ. Rose talked about embracing Jordan and his legacy.

“What’s wrong with getting close to the best person that ever played the game? I’m not scared of him; if anything, it makes me work harder when I do train.”

The other guy who was a big fan of Rose? Barack Obama. Rose used to see Obama in his neighborhood all the time. Not that he paid attention.

“I remember when he wasn’t our president, when I was a kid, when he’d just be walking down the street, a state senator. He was just always there. I didn’t appreciate it then. I was in high school and just wanted to see rappers.”

Obama, not much of a rapper. I’d tell him to work on it, but not sure that skill really helps him out in the swing states.

What I found most interesting in the piece was how the humble, pretty reclusive Rose is dealing with stardom — particularly in Chicago, where he would be mobbed if he just tried to go to Lou Malnati’s for a pie.

“The more you win, the more they come. Don’t get me wrong. I don’t take anything for granted. But it seems like the better I play, the more attention I get. And I can’t get away from it. You play great, you get attention. But I hate attention. It is weird. I’m in a bind…

“It gets on my nerves that I can’t just go out. It’s just boundaries now, people are like, ‘You can’t go here, you can’t go there, you got to let that person know where you’re going.’ It’s just weird. I’m never alone. Ever.”

Go read the whole piece online. Frankly, you could use the fashion tips, go to the newsstand and pick up the entire issue.

1. diehardcubbiefan4life - Apr 17, 2012 at 12:00 PM

lol Drose looks so dark

2. acharlot5 - Apr 17, 2012 at 12:39 PM

and your comment is relevant because???

3. hojo20 - Apr 17, 2012 at 1:20 PM

Aw man, I could use a ‘roni Lou Malnati’s right now.

4. jagfan8030 - Apr 17, 2012 at 1:31 PM

Kobe!!!!!!!!

5. gmsingh - Apr 17, 2012 at 3:06 PM

That stupid GQ cover just made D-rose another “gametime decision”.

6. southpaw77 - Apr 17, 2012 at 3:15 PM

Next Jordan? He’s the next Penny Hardaway with all these injuries.
    Remember Penny was all world till injuries caught up to him.
    If Rose doesn’t work on his jumper and keeps taking a pounding in the paint he will have a short career as being an all star like Penny.

7. edavidberg - Apr 17, 2012 at 3:54 PM

Of course Jordan missed the majority of a season early in his career, but label Rose injury prone anyway.

• chicago240 - Apr 17, 2012 at 5:32 PM

Jordan had one injury. Rose just started on his 5th separate and distinct injury this year (we’ll see how long this one lasts). I hate thinking that it’s a real trend. Optimistically it’s the result of bad luck and a condensed season. The Bulls are way more fun to watch when you have at least one or two of those “whoa” moments in a game.

8. trickybastard - Apr 18, 2012 at 2:09 AM

Really? This is the first I’ve heard the comparison. Total fabrication

9. florida727 - Apr 18, 2012 at 9:41 AM

Better get used to the attention, DRose. If you can get, and stay, healthy, the comparisons will only intensify. Best of luck getting back to 100%. Way too much fun watching this guy to wish him anything but the best. Too bad more so-called “superstars” couldn’t have his modesty, instead of that chest-thumping, me-first, crap we have to put up with. Note to others: try acting like you’ve done it, or been there, before. Much more endearing to fans.

10. southbeachtalent - Apr 18, 2012 at 10:33 AM

superstar!!

What players stood out at World Cup?
Top 10 NBA Player Searches