Apr 17, 2012, 9:10 AM EDT
This may be the most bizarre way to get a technical foul I have ever seen. After a diligent search it turns out the words “wet Willy” do not appear in the NBA rule book, but the referees decided to “T” Delonte West up anyway for sticking his finger in Gordon Hayward‘s ear during the Mavericks triple-overtime loss to the Jazz (a win that kept the Jazz’s playoff hopes alive).
In the second quarter after a missed Mavs shot the Jazz pushed the ball down the floor and West ran with Hayward on the break, got a little physical and pushed him and got called for the foul. Hayward walked away, West came up to him and gave him the “wet Willie.” Why? Why does Delonte do anything? Here is West’s explanation via the Salt Lake Tribune.
”I saw some lint in his hair, and I wanted to get it out for him. Seriously, we were like two warriors out there. But I forgot the NBA is a gentlemen’s game. They want us to battle and scrap, but they want us to do it nicely.”
Even in non-gentlemen’s games, if you stick your finger in a man’s ear you are in trouble. Hayward was mature and walked away. Imagine what would have happened if West tried that in a pickup game at Rucker Park. Delonte, this is why you’re not invited nice places like the White House.
In other news, back-to-back overtime losses for Dallas (remember Sunday against the Lakers) has dropped the Mavericks down to the seven seed in the West. The defending champions should be a team you want to avoid in the first round, but they are not really striking fear into anyone. Well, Delonte West does now. but for very odd reasons.
- Chris Andersen complements Heat’s Big Three so well 0
- Pacers’ coach Vogel explains decision to bench Hibbert late, says ‘we’ll probably have him in next time’ 2
- LeBron’s triple-double, game-winner in overtime lead Heat to Game 1 win over Pacers 6
- LeBron’s game-winning layup at the overtime buzzer gives Heat Game 1 win over Pacers (VIDEO) 13
- Report: Carmelo Anthony has torn labrum, may need surgery 4
- Report: Dwight Howard will consider multiple teams in free agency, is said to be most intrigued by the Rockets (122)
- Kobe Bryant responds to Michael Jordan comparison from Phil Jackson (89)
- Alonzo Mourning says Scottie Pippen says LeBron would “kick Jordan’s ass” (75)
- Bradley Beal said he’d lose respect for a teammate who acted like Derrick Rose (67)
- Pacers advance to the Eastern Conference Finals with Game 6 win over Knicks (60)
- LeBron stuns Pacers with OT winner in Game 1
- Pens overwhelm Sens, take 3-1 series lead
- Tiger calls Sergio's comments inappropriate, hurtful
- Bears great Urlacher announces retirement
- HBT: Canseco suspect in Vegas sexual assault
- Posnanski on Golf: Sergio shows disdain for Tiger
- OlyTalk: Coach K will lead Team USA in Rio Games