Apr 17, 2012, 9:10 AM EST
This may be the most bizarre way to get a technical foul I have ever seen. After a diligent search it turns out the words “wet Willy” do not appear in the NBA rule book, but the referees decided to “T” Delonte West up anyway for sticking his finger in Gordon Hayward‘s ear during the Mavericks triple-overtime loss to the Jazz (a win that kept the Jazz’s playoff hopes alive).
In the second quarter after a missed Mavs shot the Jazz pushed the ball down the floor and West ran with Hayward on the break, got a little physical and pushed him and got called for the foul. Hayward walked away, West came up to him and gave him the “wet Willie.” Why? Why does Delonte do anything? Here is West’s explanation via the Salt Lake Tribune.
”I saw some lint in his hair, and I wanted to get it out for him. Seriously, we were like two warriors out there. But I forgot the NBA is a gentlemen’s game. They want us to battle and scrap, but they want us to do it nicely.”
Even in non-gentlemen’s games, if you stick your finger in a man’s ear you are in trouble. Hayward was mature and walked away. Imagine what would have happened if West tried that in a pickup game at Rucker Park. Delonte, this is why you’re not invited nice places like the White House.
In other news, back-to-back overtime losses for Dallas (remember Sunday against the Lakers) has dropped the Mavericks down to the seven seed in the West. The defending champions should be a team you want to avoid in the first round, but they are not really striking fear into anyone. Well, Delonte West does now. but for very odd reasons.
- Tuesday night NBA Grades: Kobe plays pretty well, Suns’ backcourt plays better 0
- Pacers win first Conference Finals rematch vs. Heat 14
- Days before he faced LeBron, Paul George said Durant is NBA’s toughest cover 25
- A day later, Kobe didn’t think he played quite so bad 12
- Why question “When did basketball get so bad?” misses mark 55
- Why question “When did basketball get so bad?” misses mark (55)
- Dwight Howard frustrated with Rockets’ effort in recent losses (54)
- Durant tells “60 Minutes Sports” he’s still tired of being No. 2 (35)
- Report: Heat shopping Joel Anthony, seeking depth behind Wade (35)
- Fan wanders onto court while game is going on during Cavaliers-Clippers (VIDEO) (34)