Apr 16, 2012, 1:03 PM EST
Derrick Rose looked more like he had been in a Blackhawks playoff game than a relatively meaningless, end-of-the-regular season Bulls game.
Rose drove the lane in the fourth quarter and journeyman forward Charlie Villanueva gave Rose a hard foul — right across the bridge of his nose. Rose was bloodied, Villanueva got a flagrant foul (and a fine may be coming).
After the game, the usually reserved Rose was pissed. Here is what he said, via my man Aggrey Sam at CSNChicago.com.
“It’s basketball. Hit me in my face. I think he didn’t go for the ball. Whatever they called it, they called it for a reason,” he said. “I was mad. Sick and tired of people trying to take cheap shots at me. I’ve got to say something.
“I really don’t know [why he gets cheap-shotted by opponents]. Probably because I don’t say anything, but I’m a man. Situations like that, you have to say something,” he continued. “You’ve got to. He didn’t even aim for the ball. At least aim for the ball. I felt like he didn’t and that’s the reason why I got mad a little bit.”
Rose has a right to be frustrated… but welcome to being a superstar. Yes, that means you get some borderline calls. It also means that other teams are going to knock you around. A lot. It’s not just you, just ask Kobe Bryant or LeBron James or most recently Blake Griffin. Before them ask Shaquille O’Neal or Michael Jordan or pretty much anyone back to George Mikan.
Go ahead and be angry. You’re right. But know it is not going to stop, either.
- Sources: Kings prefer George Karl, not serious about hiring Mark Jackson 8
- Nuggets Danilo Gallinari has meniscus tear in right knee, out three weeks after surgery 5
- Rajon Rondo was very Rondoesque in debut with Mavericks (VIDEO) 19
- Report: Kings discussing trade for Deron Williams with Nets 12
- Report: Multiple teams contacting Suns trying to trade for Goran Dragic 10
- Clippers rip officials after being called for seven technical fouls in loss to Nuggets 18
- Jeremy Lin after Kobe misses at the buzzer: ‘I like game-winners too’ 60
- Damian Lillard drops career high 43, leads Blazers to 3OT win over Spurs (VIDEO) 8