Apr 16, 2012, 8:48 PM EST
Not even the most die-hard Kentucky fan — say, Ashley Judd — really thought Anthony Davis or the rest of the top players on Kentucky were coming back for another year.
That will become reality Tuesday when Davis (the lock No. 1 overall pick and likely franchise player) as well as Terrence Jones, Michael Kidd-Gilchrist, Doran Lamb and Marquis Teague of Kentucky all will hold a joint press conference, at which each and each one is expected to declare for the NBA draft, as reported on NBC’s CollegeBasketballTalk.
Yes, Kidd-Gilchrist has repeatedly denied he was turning pro, but it would be a shock if the lock top five pick did not jump into the draft.
There’s a reason that these guys are all turning pro (and a reason Kentucky won the national title). DraftExpress in their current mock draft has Davis going No. 1, Kidd-Gilchrist No. 3, Jones No. 11, Teague No. 18 and Lamb early in the second round.
None of this is a surprise, this is how the John Calipari system works (see John Wall, DeMarcus Cousins, Eric Bledsoe, Brandon Knight, and we could go on and on). But this group is fully committed if they declare — the new (and silly) NCAA rule says that the last day to withdraw your name from consideration for the draft was April 10. The NBA says players have to April 29 to declare, but now once you are in you are in, there is no time to “test the waters.” (How is this the NCAA is looking after the student athletes? Oh, we’ll save that rant for another day.)
- PBT Extra: Kobe Bryant is back, doesn’t have much time to get it right 1
- It’s official, Clippers agree to terms with Stephen Jackson 1
- PBT NBA Power Rankings: At the quarter pole Portland takes the lead 15
- Paul Pierce practiced Monday, could return vs. Celtics Tuesday 2
- Report: Kings not done trading, Jason Thompson next on block 4
- LeBron says Wade is “getting that Kobe deal” in next contract. Should he? (65)
- Dwight Howard frustrated with Rockets’ effort in recent losses (52)
- Kobe Bryant dunks, looks good in Lakers practice; Friday return possible (47)
- The Extra Pass: Our awards at the quarter pole, plus Monday recaps (43)
- Durant tells “60 Minutes Sports” he’s still tired of being No. 2 (35)