Apr 16, 2012, 6:59 PM EDT
How about something like… Jazz? That was the New Orleans teams’ name until it left for that other jazz music hotbed of Salt Lake City. (Read that last sentence again in a sarcastic tone.) So as talk of a possible name change has floated around the idea of New Orleans taking back the Jazz moniker has bubbled to the surface.
Not going to happen, David Stern said at the press conference announcing the 2014 All-Star Game going to New Orleans. Here is the quote, via The Times-Picayune.
“It belongs to Utah,” Stern said. “I wouldn’t make it such an important point. There are many things that are indigenous to the area. I’m sure there will be some wonderful nicknames (suggestions).”
That idea is now DOA. The team in Utah isn’t going to give it up. They now have a long history with it in Utah — how else to you think of Stockton and Malone? — and they are not going to surrender it.
But Stern is right, there are a lot of options. Just know that due to marketing and jersey concerns this is likely a two-year process — nothing changes next season, it would likely be the 2013-14 season when any switch occurs.
- George Hill says only God is scarier to face than LeBron James 0
- LeBron James commits two costly turnovers in final minute of Game 2 loss to Pacers 12
- Pacers find their offense, find balance, find Heat’s respect 15
- Pacers get big games from Roy Hibbert and Paul George, take Game 2 from Heat to even the series 25
- LeBron James-Paul George matchup reaches awesome levels in Game 2 10
- Report: Dwight Howard will consider multiple teams in free agency, is said to be most intrigued by the Rockets (124)
- Alonzo Mourning says Scottie Pippen says LeBron would “kick Jordan’s ass” (83)
- LeBron’s triple-double, game-winner in overtime lead Heat to Game 1 win over Pacers (70)
- If Phil Jackson could have any player to start a team it would be… Bill Russell (61)
- Pacers advance to the Eastern Conference Finals with Game 6 win over Knicks (60)
- Pacers even series with Heat
- Penguins bounce Senators | Highlights
- MST: Rosberg wins pole in Monaco | Highlights
- Tennis.com: Can anyone stop Serena at French?
- Tennis.com: Is French still Nadal's to lose?
- Tigers' Sanchez loses no-hitter in 9th vs. Twins
- PST: Report: Openly gay Rogers to play for Galaxy