Apr 16, 2012, 5:36 PM EDT
Normally, this kind of game — the two seed Spurs vs. the three seed Lakers — is the kind of contest where we try to gain clues about what would happen if they met in the second round of the playoffs.
Kobe Bryant did some light shooting today but isn’t expected to play tomorrow vs. San Antonio. It would be his 6th game missed (sore shin).
On the other bench, the Spurs will be in the middle of a back-to-back-to-back, which is often when Gregg Popovich will rest one or more of his big three. If you think he cares that they are playing the Lakers on national television, or that they are one game back of Oklahoma city for the best record in the West, you have not been watching him for the last decade.
Kobe or not the game will matter to the Lakers, who are trying to stay ahead of the Clippers and with the Pacific Division (and be the three seed). Memphis will likely be the five seed in the west and both Los Angeles teams would ideally like to avoid them in the first round.
- Spurs take commanding 3-0 lead over Grizzlies with overtime win in Game 3 3
- Preview: Did Grizzlies figure out Spurs or will Game 3 be more of the same? 0
- George Hill says only God is scarier to face than LeBron James 33
- LeBron James commits two costly turnovers in final minute of Game 2 loss to Pacers 22
- Pacers find their offense, find balance, find Heat’s respect 17
- Report: Dwight Howard will consider multiple teams in free agency, is said to be most intrigued by the Rockets (124)
- Alonzo Mourning says Scottie Pippen says LeBron would “kick Jordan’s ass” (83)
- LeBron’s triple-double, game-winner in overtime lead Heat to Game 1 win over Pacers (70)
- Pacers advance to the Eastern Conference Finals with Game 6 win over Knicks (61)
- If Phil Jackson could have any player to start a team it would be… Bill Russell (61)
- Blackhawks stave off elimination
- Video: Highlights: Blackhawks top Red Wings 4-1
- PST: Bayern Munich beats Dortmund, wins Champions League
- PHT: Bruins bounce Rangers, advance to Conf. finals
- PBT: Pacers' Hill: Only God scarier than LeBron
- Hundreds run Boston Marathon's final mile
- MST Monaco GP predictions: Mercedes' time?