Blake Griffin says his game not about intimidation

Apr 15, 2012, 8:50 AM EST

Blake Griffin, Pau Gasol AP

It looks intimidating.

When Blake Griffin flies in and dunks over Pau Gasol or Kendrick Perkins or Timofey Mozgov or any one of many of his victims, it looks intimidating. More than just the dunks, Griffin’s game plays to his physical strengths. He plays a power game.

But he says it’s not about intimidation.

“Intimidating, that’s not something I consciously go out and try to do,” Griffin told ProBasketballTalk. “As far as being physical, that’s just a part of my game. I don’t try really hard to be physical but it’s just a part of my game and I’m not going to shy away from it…

“I think it works to my advantage whenever it is a physical game because I feel more comfortable with contact and all that. It’s one of those that if it happens it happens, but I don’t go out seeking out contact and trying to hit guys hard.”

Griffin dishes out a physical game, but he takes it, too. The book on him is to push back, and a lot of teams do with hard fouls and physical play that are not called. It’s part of the NBA. He’s not backing down. Griffin said he is not sure there really is a lot of intimidation going on once you get to the NBA. Pretty much every guy there was the one doing the intimidating in high school, and the guys who back down tend not to make it this far.

“Not really, I really don’t think (there is intimidation in the NBA),” Griffin said. “A lot of these guys in the NBA are so talented you kind of have a mutual resect for guys and you know what guys can do and can’t do and you just try to play them the best you can.”

Griffin said right now he and the Clippers are trying to take care of their own business, to work on their defense, and not scoreboard watch as they head into the playoffs. They are in a battle for the Pacific Division crown with the Lakers — and the loser likely gets the red hot Memphis Grizzlies in the first round.

“It’s great to be able to play exactly who you want and be able to play at home, but it all means nothing if come out and didn’t play well,” Griffin said.

Griffin was speaking to PBT as part of a promotion with Subway, pointing out that during April people who stop in before 9 a.m. and buy any six-inch sandwich and the second one is free.

Griffin appears in a number of ads for Subway as well as other sponsors such as Kia. More and more, you are seeing Griffin’s personality — and dry sense of humor — shine through in those.

“When I first came in (to the league) I had never done anything like that,” Griffin said. “For me, it was tough to just open up and show some of (my personality). Now, doing more stuff, I have more opportunities, you open up to it. It’s a lot of fun. The more you do it the more comfortable you become.”

He’s comfortable being himself now. Both on and off the court. And that’s not supposed to be intimidating.

1. poorjohnwall - Apr 15, 2012 at 9:33 AM

is he joking? intimidation? hes a hollywood actor who happens to be a boss dunker. nba flop champion 2012

2. lakerluver - Apr 15, 2012 at 10:40 AM

I love his style of play. The dude gets a bad wrap because he dunks so viciously. Is he supposed to be gentle when he’s posterizing fools??!! Blake, though he can get better in a lot of areas, is much more than just a dunker. His overall game is underrated.

3. detroitcityryda - Apr 15, 2012 at 10:51 AM

Really hate the clippers , paul is so cocky and walks around like hes hot mote rings then kobe , griffin plays with no emotion it’s like there is no blood in him ,the most annoying player in the league .he fell and went into a kid sitting front row blew him out his seat kid was crying and he just got up and walked off like a zombie .Kobe would never do that and I’m no lakers fan .

4. abchome - Apr 15, 2012 at 11:06 AM

Not intimidating, but dehumanating.

5. kacapaco - Apr 15, 2012 at 11:09 AM

Though a Celtic fan, the only reason I checked NBA.com for highlights is to enjoy Blake’s dunk. He is a monster.

6. mat9844 - Apr 15, 2012 at 11:23 AM

I love the intensity Blake brings to the game. He always looks so serious when playing, rarely smiling (which he should do more). However, he’s a funny guy doing those commercials and on Funny or Die. So talented, both on and off the court.

7. khadeemw - Apr 15, 2012 at 11:28 AM

Of course his game isn’t about intimidation, he flops so much that no one can fear him. Jason Smith ran him over like a freight train hitting a Prius. They dont fear Blake Griffin. But that doesnt change the fact that he’ll put big man after big man on posters.

8. vikingsinla - Apr 15, 2012 at 2:11 PM

He’s Vince Carter with a broke outside shot. And a broke free-throw shot. Can’t wait for Father Time to catch up with this clown so he’ll become so much bench-fodder, and every other PBT article won’t be lauding him for dunking.

9. Fantasy Football Legend - Apr 15, 2012 at 2:50 PM

To bad Blake has no DE or the Clippers in general. Also to bad those dunks on Pau were fouls!

10. cdins - Apr 15, 2012 at 3:04 PM

Like his game but hes starting to toe the line with complaining and staring down refs.

11. poorjohnwall - Apr 15, 2012 at 11:58 PM

you huys joking? blake is such a flopper and weak defender. way too 1 d with a bad coach to boot

Can Rockets, Grizzlies keep up hot starts?
Top 10 NBA Player Searches