Apr 14, 2012, 11:00 AM EDT
The Wizards went 12:09 without a field goal against the Knicks Friday night. Twelve minutes. Tuhwellve-oh-nine.
That’s just sad. Sad, sad, sad, sad, sad. But Knicks fans didn’t find it sad. They found it funny. And chant-worthy. From FoxSports.com:
At one point toward the end of the run, with the Wizards still stuck on 47 points, the Garden crowd even started chanting Washington’s point total.
“I was looking for a jersey,” Novak said. “Who’s No. 47?”
Novak said it with a laugh. But the Knicks’ new defensive approach is no joke.
Around the eight minute mark, if you’re Wizards coach Randy Wittman, aren’t you tempted to instruct your players to cherry pick just to get that monkey off the back? Because that’s a long time without a field goal. I’ve done my taxes in the amount of time it took Washington to manufacture a field goal. Yikes.
Lost in the talk about Mike Woodson and Mike D’Antoni and Carmelo Anthony and hero ball and Amar’e Stoudemire and Jeremy Lin and everything else is that the Knicks play the type of defense you want if you’re going into the playoffs. Tough, physical, constantly contesting and constantly swiping at the ball. Attacking the dribble is an underrated element of so many defenses that are predicated on position management and shot manipulation. Yes, the Knicks force you into poor shot selection, but they also constantly try an disrupt the dribble, pry the ball free, stop movement of any kind and send the ball splattering in the opposite direction.
The Knicks won’t force their opponent to miss an entire quarter’s worth of time without a field goal in the playoffs, but the model is sound. And there’s a good chance that after a rough year, the Madison Square Garden crowd will have something to chant about.
- Report: Timberwolves to end up with Thad Young, Anthony Bennett as part of Kevin Love trade 65
- Adam Silver: NBA stars playing in international competition face ‘a big risk’ 12
- Derrick Rose says he’ll play Friday vs. Puerto Rico 13
- Report: Don’t be so sure on Anthony Bennett to Philadelphia rumors 54
- Report: Nike gets chance to match 10-year, $265 million offer to Kevin Durant from Under Armour 18
- Should NBA coaches get NFL style challenge flags? 20
- Report: Suns discussing trade possibilities for Eric Bledsoe 36
- Report: Sixers may look to trade for Amar’e Stoudemire at this season’s deadline 32