Apr 13, 2012, 3:17 PM EDT
It would have been a mistake for whoever purchased the New Orleans Hornets to sweep out General Manager Dell Demps and coach Monty Williams — the two of them have done as good a job as could be expected considering the circumstances.
Benson’s buying of Hornets expected to give GM Demps and coach Williams good chances to be part of franchise’s future, league sources say.
Monty Williams has a season left on contract. League GM’s are beyond impressed with his work past two years. He’d be a coveted free agent.
Talking other Hornets business, at his press conference, Benson said that he got into this to win championships. Benson had been a minority owner of the San Antonio Spurs back in the day, so he has some experience with basketball teams.
The league has worked to turn the financials around in New Orleans and Stern said that this season the team will break even.
He said there would be some blending of businesses and synergy between the Saints and Hornets in terms of things like buying sponsorships for local businesses and the like.
- Sunday NBA grades: All hail the unstoppable Jodie Meeks 0
- Harden’s 17 fourth quarter points spark Rockets’ comeback win (VIDEO) 2
- Bulls beat Heat, show why nobody wants to face them in playoffs 47
- Former GM: Carmelo Anthony leaving in free agency would be ‘doing Knicks a favor’ 25
- Report: Cavaliers privately believe it’s not too late to lure LeBron back to Cleveland 20