Apr 13, 2012, 3:17 PM EDT
It would have been a mistake for whoever purchased the New Orleans Hornets to sweep out General Manager Dell Demps and coach Monty Williams — the two of them have done as good a job as could be expected considering the circumstances.
Benson’s buying of Hornets expected to give GM Demps and coach Williams good chances to be part of franchise’s future, league sources say.
Monty Williams has a season left on contract. League GM’s are beyond impressed with his work past two years. He’d be a coveted free agent.
Talking other Hornets business, at his press conference, Benson said that he got into this to win championships. Benson had been a minority owner of the San Antonio Spurs back in the day, so he has some experience with basketball teams.
The league has worked to turn the financials around in New Orleans and Stern said that this season the team will break even.
He said there would be some blending of businesses and synergy between the Saints and Hornets in terms of things like buying sponsorships for local businesses and the like.
- LeBron James on Kyrie Irving: “I believe Kyrie can be the best point guard in the league.” 1
- ProBasketballTalk 2014-15 Preview: Boston Celtics 0
- Dwight Howard’s drivers’ license in Florida suspended, he racked up 10 red light violations in Orlando 8
- Tim Duncan to appear in “The Punisher” comic book 6
- ProBasketballTalk 2014-15 Preview: New York Knicks 10
- Klay Thompson’s agent: Thompson better two-way shooting guard than Kobe Bryant 48
- Report: Greg Oden’s drinking an issue during season, alleged domestic assault 29
- Kevin Durant calls Allen Iverson “pound for pound” best ever 29