Apr 13, 2012, 3:17 PM EST
It would have been a mistake for whoever purchased the New Orleans Hornets to sweep out General Manager Dell Demps and coach Monty Williams — the two of them have done as good a job as could be expected considering the circumstances.
Benson’s buying of Hornets expected to give GM Demps and coach Williams good chances to be part of franchise’s future, league sources say.
Monty Williams has a season left on contract. League GM’s are beyond impressed with his work past two years. He’d be a coveted free agent.
Talking other Hornets business, at his press conference, Benson said that he got into this to win championships. Benson had been a minority owner of the San Antonio Spurs back in the day, so he has some experience with basketball teams.
The league has worked to turn the financials around in New Orleans and Stern said that this season the team will break even.
He said there would be some blending of businesses and synergy between the Saints and Hornets in terms of things like buying sponsorships for local businesses and the like.
- Kobe Bryant says Gary Payton, Kevin Garnett among best trash talkers he’s faced 3
- PBT’s Wednesday NBA Winners/Losers: Ettore Messina making history for Spurs 1
- LeBron James, Cavaliers have kind of game they need to replicate blowing out Wizards 5
- Gregg Popovich to miss game following ‘minor medical procedure’ 8
- PBT Extra: Anthony Davis’s MVP-level play, the Spurs and things to be thankful for 7
- Report: Knicks worried Carmelo Anthony’s back issue may be season-long concern 9
- Report: Lakers working on a one-year deal with Earl Clark 13
- Tom Thibodeau says Derrick Rose ‘didn’t re-injure himself’ after playing just 10 minutes in loss to Nuggets 20