Apr 13, 2012, 3:17 PM EDT
It would have been a mistake for whoever purchased the New Orleans Hornets to sweep out General Manager Dell Demps and coach Monty Williams — the two of them have done as good a job as could be expected considering the circumstances.
Benson’s buying of Hornets expected to give GM Demps and coach Williams good chances to be part of franchise’s future, league sources say.
Monty Williams has a season left on contract. League GM’s are beyond impressed with his work past two years. He’d be a coveted free agent.
Talking other Hornets business, at his press conference, Benson said that he got into this to win championships. Benson had been a minority owner of the San Antonio Spurs back in the day, so he has some experience with basketball teams.
The league has worked to turn the financials around in New Orleans and Stern said that this season the team will break even.
He said there would be some blending of businesses and synergy between the Saints and Hornets in terms of things like buying sponsorships for local businesses and the like.
- Derrick Rose sits out another Team USA practice, not likely to start Wednesday 18
- DeMarcus Cousins practices with team USA Tuesday, says he’s 50-50 for Wednesday game 2
- Jim Boeheim says of Carmelo Anthony, “it would have been better to go to Chicago” 30
- Steve Ballmer screams like a maniac at Clippers rally 26
- Thibodeau calls Team USA “perfect setting” for Derrick Rose to make return 6
- What four players left likely to get cut from Team USA roster? Things don’t look good for Andre Drummond. 19
- John Calipari says he was not close to going to Cleveland. LeBron or not. 12
- Report: Shawn Marion commits to play with Cavaliers, LeBron James 47