Apr 13, 2012, 3:17 PM EDT
It would have been a mistake for whoever purchased the New Orleans Hornets to sweep out General Manager Dell Demps and coach Monty Williams — the two of them have done as good a job as could be expected considering the circumstances.
Benson’s buying of Hornets expected to give GM Demps and coach Williams good chances to be part of franchise’s future, league sources say.
Monty Williams has a season left on contract. League GM’s are beyond impressed with his work past two years. He’d be a coveted free agent.
Talking other Hornets business, at his press conference, Benson said that he got into this to win championships. Benson had been a minority owner of the San Antonio Spurs back in the day, so he has some experience with basketball teams.
The league has worked to turn the financials around in New Orleans and Stern said that this season the team will break even.
He said there would be some blending of businesses and synergy between the Saints and Hornets in terms of things like buying sponsorships for local businesses and the like.
- Shaq tells Suzy Shuster he, Kobe Bryant could have tied Jordan’s six titles 22
- Dwight Howard tried to take loaded gun through airport security, will not face charges 26
- Will Miami make a run at Kevin Durant? 17
- Report: Veteran forward Chuck Hayes agrees to deal with Clippers 6
- Report: Lakers to sign Brazilian, FC Barcelona point guard Marcelo Huertas to one-year deal 10
- Shaq to Kobe on podcast: “I just want people to know that I don’t hate you” 18
- D’Angelo Russell on Tracy McGrady tweet: “Some Lakers fans are spoiled” 28
- Anthony Davis “definitely” plans on shooting more threes this season 4