Apr 13, 2012, 2:48 PM EST
He also would not speculate on if Kobe will be available for Sunday’s national television game against the Mavericks, according to Mike Trudell of Lakers.com. The game after that for the Lakers is Tuesday night against a Spurs team the Lakers beat without Kobe on Wednesday.
The Lakers could use Kobe as they fight for playoff positioning. Currently the Lakers are the three seed in the West, one game up on the Clippers. The concern is that the Memphis Grizzlies — playing as well as any team in the league right now and the squad everyone is trying to avoid in the first round — is the five seed. Whoever finishes second between the Lakers and Clippers likely gets Memphis in the first round. So the Lakers are feeling pressure to keep winning, with or without their star.
- PBT’s Top 10 NBA stories of 2014, No. 10: Anthony Davis’ breakout 9
- Rumor: Ray Allen leaning toward retirement, not return 8
- Josh Smith makes Rockets debut, throws down two-handed dunk (VIDEO) 13
- Carmelo Anthony on the Knicks: “The fans are dying, we’re dying” 20
- Rockets officially sign Josh Smith, who will play Friday night; waive Tarik Black 6
- Clippers win ‘nice, boring’ Christmas Day battle with Warriors 1
- Miami fans give LeBron warm welcome, Heat team not so much in upset win 24
- Russell Westbrook inspires Thunder to skid-stopping win over Spurs 8