Apr 13, 2012, 6:59 PM EDT
Ivan Johnson — the former D-League All-Star who also led that league in technical fouls — was fined and sent back to Orland for “conduct detrimental to the team” and he will not suit up with the Magic in Atlanta Friday, reports the Atlanta Journal Constitution.
This time the conduct of interest was getting in a war of words on the bench.
Johnson was sent home for verbal altercation on the bench during Wednesday’s game against Boston…. Hawks coach Larry Drew declined to expand on the disciplinary action, or the reason for it, following this morning’s shoot-around.
“We made a decision to discipline him by sending him home, fining him and we will move on,” Drew said.
Johnson, a rookie, is a big off the bench who plays 10-20 minutes a night lately. He is averaging 5.8 points and 3.7 rebounds a game.
Johnson has a history — run-ins with coaches in college, being banned from the Korean league for a gesture made to a referee — but has been relatively quiet this year. The Hawks have a team option on him for next season or they can let him walk. This is not the kind of thing that helps his cause.
- Three coaches who could replace Tom Thibodeau in Chicago 1
- Report: Kevin Love going to “look around” this summer as free agent; Celtics, Lakers, Rockets possible 13
- PBT Extra: Did Chicago make the right move in firing Thibodeau? 22
- Bulls front office on Tom Thibodeau firing: “We probably wouldn’t be sitting here if we won a championship” 11
- Bulls fire Tom Thibodeau 61
- Dwight Howard: “I’m still a champion. And I won’t let anyone tell me anything different.” 72
- Rockets had an excellent season. Are they content with that? 22
- Harden struggles, Warriors role players step up leading team to Finals for first time in 40 years 43