Apr 13, 2012, 6:59 PM EDT
Ivan Johnson — the former D-League All-Star who also led that league in technical fouls — was fined and sent back to Orland for “conduct detrimental to the team” and he will not suit up with the Magic in Atlanta Friday, reports the Atlanta Journal Constitution.
This time the conduct of interest was getting in a war of words on the bench.
Johnson was sent home for verbal altercation on the bench during Wednesday’s game against Boston…. Hawks coach Larry Drew declined to expand on the disciplinary action, or the reason for it, following this morning’s shoot-around.
“We made a decision to discipline him by sending him home, fining him and we will move on,” Drew said.
Johnson, a rookie, is a big off the bench who plays 10-20 minutes a night lately. He is averaging 5.8 points and 3.7 rebounds a game.
Johnson has a history — run-ins with coaches in college, being banned from the Korean league for a gesture made to a referee — but has been relatively quiet this year. The Hawks have a team option on him for next season or they can let him walk. This is not the kind of thing that helps his cause.
- Q&A: Corey Brewer on trade from Timberwolves, his 51-point game, Harden’s MVP case, Rockets vs. Mavericks 0
- PBT First Round Playoff Previews: Los Angeles Clippers vs. San Antonio Spurs 6
- Why the 2015 NBA playoffs feel wide open – but probably shouldn’t 3
- PBT Extra: Houston, Dallas simply do not like each other 3
- Sounds like Pacers president Larry Bird, head coach Frank Vogel don’t want Roy Hibbert back next year 21
- PBT staff playoff predictions: Lots of Golden State love from us 1
- PBT Extra: Injuries make Grizzlies, Trail Blazers series hard to predict 3
- PBT Extra: Will Spurs depth, versatility prove too much for Clippers? 10