Apr 13, 2012, 6:59 PM EDT
Ivan Johnson — the former D-League All-Star who also led that league in technical fouls — was fined and sent back to Orland for “conduct detrimental to the team” and he will not suit up with the Magic in Atlanta Friday, reports the Atlanta Journal Constitution.
This time the conduct of interest was getting in a war of words on the bench.
Johnson was sent home for verbal altercation on the bench during Wednesday’s game against Boston…. Hawks coach Larry Drew declined to expand on the disciplinary action, or the reason for it, following this morning’s shoot-around.
“We made a decision to discipline him by sending him home, fining him and we will move on,” Drew said.
Johnson, a rookie, is a big off the bench who plays 10-20 minutes a night lately. He is averaging 5.8 points and 3.7 rebounds a game.
Johnson has a history — run-ins with coaches in college, being banned from the Korean league for a gesture made to a referee — but has been relatively quiet this year. The Hawks have a team option on him for next season or they can let him walk. This is not the kind of thing that helps his cause.
- Report: Mo Williams signing with Cavaliers for most of their MLE 17
- Report: Cavaliers, Clippers discussing Jamal Crawford for Brendan Haywood trade 26
- Reports: David West agrees to veteran minimum deal to play for Spurs 76
- Report: Marc Gasol, Grizzlies reach deal on five-year, $110 million contract 9
- Manu Ginobili tweets he’ll play next season 5
- Who is left: 15 best free agents still on the board 14
- Report: Detroit Pistons sign restricted free agent Reggie Jackson for five-years, $80 million 38
- Report: Lakers near deal to sign Brandon Bass, may trade Nick Young 36