Apr 13, 2012, 10:48 PM EST
The Orlando Magic announced Friday night that Dwight Howard who has missed several games with a back injury has suffered a herniated disc in his back. From the AP:
Magic spokesman Joel Glass said Howard was examined by Dr. Robert Watkins after Howard flew out there earlier Friday for a second opinion for what had previously be called back spasms since he injured his back at the end of March.
There is no timetable for his return and it will be based on how he responds to treatment.
Howard is scheduled to fly back to Orlando on Saturday.
The Magic are now 1-4 without him this season.
Howard had gone to L.A. to seek a second opinion after continued pain in his back had kept him out five games, including a double-digit loss to the Atlanta Hawks Friday night. Without Howard, the Magic are in freefall. For all the talk of how much he’s underutilized by Stan Van Gundy’s offense, in reality the entire system on both sides is built around Howard. The Magic stand three games out of the eighth spot above both the New York Knicks and Philadelphia 76ers. The Orlando Sentinel reports that Howard is unlikely to return for the regular season:
Dwight Howard expected to be out 14-16 days. Playoffs could start for Magic April 29-30.Race is on.
— Brian K. Schmitz (@MagicInsider) April 14, 2012
So things could get very intense for the Magic down the stretch in what has already been a mentally exhausting season for the Magic, what with Howard demanding a trade, then retracting it, then re-extending it, then wanting to stay, then not wanting to stay, then wanting to stay and signing a waiver, then having it revealed by his coach that he had asked his ownership to fire his coach. So, you know, not a great way to end what has already been a really difficult season for the Magic.
- Home-court advantage means less than ever in NBA. Why? 2
- Nikola Mirotic’s unique style rewarding Bulls for waiting on him 10
- What We Learned in NBA Tuesday Night: Bulls fans should want more of this attacking Derrick Rose 10
- Derrick Rose hits step-back jumper in overtime, lifts Bulls past Warriors (VIDEO) 5
- It’s official: Zach LaVine, Greek Freak Antetokounmpo headline All-Star Dunk Contest 11
- Report: Stephen Curry, Klay Thompson to participate in All-Star weekend’s Three-Point Contest 8
- PBT Extra: Who should be the All-Star Game reserves? 18