Apr 12, 2012, 10:24 AM EST
We all know the Dwight Howard soap opera in Orlando is simply on hiatus, set to return this summer and into next season — until he is traded or signs an extension.
The crux of Howard’s hesitation with staying in Orlando is clearly this — he does not trust the Magic front office to build a winner around him. The issue is not the money or the city, but rather he wants to win a ring and is not sure that happens in Orlando.
How could Orlando change that? Well GM Otis Smith’s job has long been rumored to be in danger, but how about replacing him with Donnie Walsh — the guy who turned around the Knicks? That rumor is out there, reports Ken Berger of CBSSports.com (part of a long article about the coming front office shuffles around the league).
There also are indications that the Magic could be interested, which would be a coup for an organization looking to create an atmosphere of respect and accountability to calm the Dwight Howard drama, which has not been extinguished but only delayed. Unless Howard is completely out to lunch, he’d have to recognize that putting Walsh in charge — with a proven day-to-day GM like former Hornets executive Jeff Bower — would put the Magic on solid footing.
We know right now Portland is looking for a GM (and that it will not be Steve Kerr), and you can bet a number of other franchises will be also. Go read the entire post, Berger breaks down the guys out there — from Kerr to Tony Ronzone — and talks potential landing spots.
There could be some big chairs available. Berger mentions a rumor I’ve heard — don’t be shocked if the Lakers need a new GM next season.
- Wesley Matthew’s injury will test Trail Blazers’ spacing 3
- Five Things We Learned in NBA Thursday: Nobody can stop E’Twaun Moore; Westbrook’s pretty good, too 10
- Training like the Pros: Recapping a month-long Nike Basketball workout experience 4
- Report: JaVale McGee can’t reach deal with Celtics 11
- Craig Sager makes long-awaited return to TNT after 11-month battle with leukemia 7
- Five Things We Learned in NBA Wednesday: Masked Russell Westbrook just needs a cape 20
- George Karl: Knicks could use a strong point guard next to Carmelo Anthony 14
- Ray Allen announces he will not play this season 14