Apr 12, 2012, 10:24 AM EDT
We all know the Dwight Howard soap opera in Orlando is simply on hiatus, set to return this summer and into next season — until he is traded or signs an extension.
The crux of Howard’s hesitation with staying in Orlando is clearly this — he does not trust the Magic front office to build a winner around him. The issue is not the money or the city, but rather he wants to win a ring and is not sure that happens in Orlando.
How could Orlando change that? Well GM Otis Smith’s job has long been rumored to be in danger, but how about replacing him with Donnie Walsh — the guy who turned around the Knicks? That rumor is out there, reports Ken Berger of CBSSports.com (part of a long article about the coming front office shuffles around the league).
There also are indications that the Magic could be interested, which would be a coup for an organization looking to create an atmosphere of respect and accountability to calm the Dwight Howard drama, which has not been extinguished but only delayed. Unless Howard is completely out to lunch, he’d have to recognize that putting Walsh in charge — with a proven day-to-day GM like former Hornets executive Jeff Bower — would put the Magic on solid footing.
We know right now Portland is looking for a GM (and that it will not be Steve Kerr), and you can bet a number of other franchises will be also. Go read the entire post, Berger breaks down the guys out there — from Kerr to Tony Ronzone — and talks potential landing spots.
There could be some big chairs available. Berger mentions a rumor I’ve heard — don’t be shocked if the Lakers need a new GM next season.
- Jahlil Okafor: “Rookie of the Year is one of the goals I set for myself” 13
- Report: Derrick Rose undecided about attending Team USA minicamp 8
- Report: Pacers planning to purchase D-League’s Fort Wayne Mad Ants 3
- Report: Hawks’ Mike Scott told police after arrest all drugs in car were his 17
- NBA lands in Africa trying to put down roots, which is all about youth programs, infrastructure 1
- Report: Kings expected to hire Nancy Lieberman as assistant coach 9
- Report: Hawks’ Mike Scott arrested for felony drug possession 16
- Gilbert Arenas on LeBron James: “James isn’t a #1 option..and yes I (didn’t stutter)” 50