Apr 12, 2012, 7:06 PM EDT
Some guys leave college because they will go as a high draft pick, but others are motivated because of what they see as an unstable situation at the university.
Meet Andre Drummond. The UConn big man is a lock top 5 pick, plus nobody is sure if Jim Calhoun will be back in the fall to coach a team that can’t participate in the 2013 NCAA tournament anyway due to missing the NCAA’s new academic standards.
DraftExpress has Drummond going No. 2 in the upcoming draft. At 6’10, 250 pounds, he would play center in the NBA. There is no question he has potential — he is long, athletic, mobile, just flat out athletically gifted. He understands the game and can rebound and play in the paint, plus has some midrange touch.
But those gifts are not always on display — he can be passive and seems to shy away from contact, according to scouts. The couple times I saw UConn this year, he seemed invisible for long stretches.
Big men with potential get drafted high and in this case the ceiling is very high, but Drummond is not without risk. Some guys blossom with the challenge of the NBA, others take a while to come around.
- Report: The Clippers have let go of Vinny Del Negro as coach 11
- Durant donates $1 million to Oklahoma City tornado disaster relief efforts 10
- Odds for the NBA Draft Lottery (that teams don’t care if they win) 8
- Jim Boeheim says Knicks problem is not Carmelo, it’s everyone else 6
- Report: Tony Parker got death threat during Game 1 9
- Report: Dwight Howard will consider multiple teams in free agency, is said to be most intrigued by the Rockets (121)
- Knicks predictably drop Game 4 to Pacers, fall behind 3-1 (93)
- Kobe Bryant responds to Michael Jordan comparison from Phil Jackson (87)
- Alonzo Mourning says Scottie Pippen says LeBron would “kick Jordan’s ass” (75)
- Bradley Beal said he’d lose respect for a teammate who acted like Derrick Rose (67)
- Durant pledges $1 million for tornado victims
- Golden Super Bowl to Bay Area; LI to Houston
- PBT: Grizzlies aim to stem Spurs' momentum
- CSN: Tiger admits he and Sergio don't get along
- HBT: Yankees buying share of expansion MLS team
- PHT: Kings searching for killer instinct in Game 4
- PFT: Romo out of OTAs after back surgery
- Play Video: Phil Jackson compares MJ and Kobe
- Play Video: Grizzlies ready for 'running' Spurs
- Play Video: Durant won't 'compromise himself' like other stars
- Play Video: Knicks avoid elimination
- Play Video: Heat finish off Bulls, James 'has no energy left'
- Play Video: Health woes make Heat vulnerable