Apr 12, 2012, 7:06 PM EDT
Some guys leave college because they will go as a high draft pick, but others are motivated because of what they see as an unstable situation at the university.
Meet Andre Drummond. The UConn big man is a lock top 5 pick, plus nobody is sure if Jim Calhoun will be back in the fall to coach a team that can’t participate in the 2013 NCAA tournament anyway due to missing the NCAA’s new academic standards.
DraftExpress has Drummond going No. 2 in the upcoming draft. At 6’10, 250 pounds, he would play center in the NBA. There is no question he has potential — he is long, athletic, mobile, just flat out athletically gifted. He understands the game and can rebound and play in the paint, plus has some midrange touch.
But those gifts are not always on display — he can be passive and seems to shy away from contact, according to scouts. The couple times I saw UConn this year, he seemed invisible for long stretches.
Big men with potential get drafted high and in this case the ceiling is very high, but Drummond is not without risk. Some guys blossom with the challenge of the NBA, others take a while to come around.
- Dwight Howard: “I’m still a champion. And I won’t let anyone tell me anything different.” 7
- Rockets had an excellent season. Are they content with that? 7
- Harden struggles, Warriors role players step up leading team to Finals for first time in 40 years 19
- Dwight Howard hit with suspension-triggering technical foul 6
- PBT Extra: Cavaliers’ improved defense helps them to Finals 8
- Reports: Bulls getting closer to firing Tom Thibodeau 23
- PBT Extra: Despite ending, Hawks had season worth celebrating 3
- Bucks’ Jared Dudley: “Most guys don’t want to play with Kobe” 64