Apr 12, 2012, 7:06 PM EST
Some guys leave college because they will go as a high draft pick, but others are motivated because of what they see as an unstable situation at the university.
Meet Andre Drummond. The UConn big man is a lock top 5 pick, plus nobody is sure if Jim Calhoun will be back in the fall to coach a team that can’t participate in the 2013 NCAA tournament anyway due to missing the NCAA’s new academic standards.
DraftExpress has Drummond going No. 2 in the upcoming draft. At 6’10, 250 pounds, he would play center in the NBA. There is no question he has potential — he is long, athletic, mobile, just flat out athletically gifted. He understands the game and can rebound and play in the paint, plus has some midrange touch.
But those gifts are not always on display — he can be passive and seems to shy away from contact, according to scouts. The couple times I saw UConn this year, he seemed invisible for long stretches.
Big men with potential get drafted high and in this case the ceiling is very high, but Drummond is not without risk. Some guys blossom with the challenge of the NBA, others take a while to come around.
- Report: Hornets, Nets talking possible Lance Stephenson for Joe Johnson trade 4
- Hassan Whiteside posts 14-point, 13-rebound, 12-block triple-double in Heat win over Bulls (VIDEO) 24
- Brandon Jennings leaves game in wheelchair, may have torn Achilles 8
- LaMarcus Aldridge decides to delay surgery, will return for Blazers Saturday vs. Wizards 7
- WATCH: Kobe Bryant’s doctor explains diagnosis to him following exam of injured shoulder 10
- Report: Cavaliers players say they ‘had lost faith’ due to lack of depth and roster construction 46
- Kobe Bryant will be back next season, he can’t resist the challenge 20
- Klay Thompson sets NBA record with 37 point quarter (VIDEO) 36