Apr 12, 2012, 7:06 PM EDT
Some guys leave college because they will go as a high draft pick, but others are motivated because of what they see as an unstable situation at the university.
Meet Andre Drummond. The UConn big man is a lock top 5 pick, plus nobody is sure if Jim Calhoun will be back in the fall to coach a team that can’t participate in the 2013 NCAA tournament anyway due to missing the NCAA’s new academic standards.
DraftExpress has Drummond going No. 2 in the upcoming draft. At 6’10, 250 pounds, he would play center in the NBA. There is no question he has potential — he is long, athletic, mobile, just flat out athletically gifted. He understands the game and can rebound and play in the paint, plus has some midrange touch.
But those gifts are not always on display — he can be passive and seems to shy away from contact, according to scouts. The couple times I saw UConn this year, he seemed invisible for long stretches.
Big men with potential get drafted high and in this case the ceiling is very high, but Drummond is not without risk. Some guys blossom with the challenge of the NBA, others take a while to come around.
- Preview: Did Grizzlies figure out Spurs or will Game 3 be more of the same? 0
- George Hill says only God is scarier to face than LeBron James 20
- LeBron James commits two costly turnovers in final minute of Game 2 loss to Pacers 21
- Pacers find their offense, find balance, find Heat’s respect 17
- Pacers get big games from Roy Hibbert and Paul George, take Game 2 from Heat to even the series 27
- Report: Dwight Howard will consider multiple teams in free agency, is said to be most intrigued by the Rockets (124)
- Alonzo Mourning says Scottie Pippen says LeBron would “kick Jordan’s ass” (83)
- LeBron’s triple-double, game-winner in overtime lead Heat to Game 1 win over Pacers (70)
- Pacers advance to the Eastern Conference Finals with Game 6 win over Knicks (61)
- If Phil Jackson could have any player to start a team it would be… Bill Russell (61)
- LIVE: Bruins-Rangers, Game 5
- PST: Bayern Munich beats Dortmund, wins Champions League
- PBT: Pacers' Hill: Only God scarier than LeBron
- Hundreds run Boston Marathon's final mile
- MST Monaco GP predictions: Mercedes' time?
- PHT: Brassard says Marchand shows no respect
- PST: Neymar reportedly set to join Barcelona