Apr 12, 2012, 8:02 AM EDT
Kevin Love spent the night in a Denver area hospital as a precaution following him leaving Wednesday night’s game in the first quarter with a mild concussion and neck strain.
While the team called it “mild” and said it was not serious, Love must now go through the league’s concussion protocol and be cleared by the league neurologist to step on the court again. It seems unlikely that he will play Thursday when the Wolves take on the Clippers. If he misses any significant time (a week or more) would the team just shut him down for the season?
The injury happened on a fluke play — JaVale McGee caught a pass as he moved into the lane and when turned square up and shoot he inadvertently elbowed Love in the head. Love stayed down on the court for several minutes before being helped to his feet. He went directly to the locker room and did not return to the game.
Since the All-Star break Love has been putting up huge numbers, including averaging 29 points a game. However this fits in with the Timberwolves luck this season — they have already lost Ricky Rubio and Luke Ridnour to injuries.
- 67RIEFNS: Warriors starters with Draymond Green 0
- Report: Kobe Bryant viewed Dwight Howard leaving Lakers in free agency as ‘a positive’ 20
- Report: Cavaliers have had ‘zero discussion’ on contract extension with Tristan Thompson 11
- Why I am going to miss Steve Nash 26
- Victor Oladipo out indefinitely after taking elbow in practice, suffering facial fracture 13
- ProBasketballTalk 2014-15 Preview: New Orleans Pelicans 10
- Five teams poised to make a big leap forward this season 5
- Steve Nash to miss entire 2014-15 season with ongoing back injuries 70