Apr 12, 2012, 8:02 AM EDT
Kevin Love spent the night in a Denver area hospital as a precaution following him leaving Wednesday night’s game in the first quarter with a mild concussion and neck strain.
While the team called it “mild” and said it was not serious, Love must now go through the league’s concussion protocol and be cleared by the league neurologist to step on the court again. It seems unlikely that he will play Thursday when the Wolves take on the Clippers. If he misses any significant time (a week or more) would the team just shut him down for the season?
The injury happened on a fluke play — JaVale McGee caught a pass as he moved into the lane and when turned square up and shoot he inadvertently elbowed Love in the head. Love stayed down on the court for several minutes before being helped to his feet. He went directly to the locker room and did not return to the game.
Since the All-Star break Love has been putting up huge numbers, including averaging 29 points a game. However this fits in with the Timberwolves luck this season — they have already lost Ricky Rubio and Luke Ridnour to injuries.
- Thursday night NBA Winners/Losers: The injury gods show Thunder no mercy 2
- No Durant, Westbrook goes down, Thunder still make it interesting but fall to Clippers 0
- Thunder’s Russell Westbrook fractures hand, likely out 4-6 weeks 6
- LeBron struggles in Cleveland debut as Knicks stun Cavaliers 44
- LeBron, Cavaliers introduced on opening night in Cleveland (VIDEO) 5
- Dominant Pau Gasol shows he may be a perfect fit for Bulls 19
- Old tweets: Kevin Durant uses gay slurs (including at Russell Westbrook), Damian Lillard rips LeBron James 30
- Wednesday night’s NBA winners, losers: Chris Bosh wants you to know he is a No. 1 option 25