Apr 12, 2012, 8:02 AM EDT
Kevin Love spent the night in a Denver area hospital as a precaution following him leaving Wednesday night’s game in the first quarter with a mild concussion and neck strain.
While the team called it “mild” and said it was not serious, Love must now go through the league’s concussion protocol and be cleared by the league neurologist to step on the court again. It seems unlikely that he will play Thursday when the Wolves take on the Clippers. If he misses any significant time (a week or more) would the team just shut him down for the season?
The injury happened on a fluke play — JaVale McGee caught a pass as he moved into the lane and when turned square up and shoot he inadvertently elbowed Love in the head. Love stayed down on the court for several minutes before being helped to his feet. He went directly to the locker room and did not return to the game.
Since the All-Star break Love has been putting up huge numbers, including averaging 29 points a game. However this fits in with the Timberwolves luck this season — they have already lost Ricky Rubio and Luke Ridnour to injuries.
- PBT Extra: Did Chicago make the right move in firing Thibodeau? 20
- Bulls front office on Tom Thibodeau firing: “We probably wouldn’t be sitting here if we won a championship” 11
- Bulls fire Tom Thibodeau 62
- Dwight Howard: “I’m still a champion. And I won’t let anyone tell me anything different.” 67
- Rockets had an excellent season. Are they content with that? 23
- Harden struggles, Warriors role players step up leading team to Finals for first time in 40 years 42
- Dwight Howard hit with suspension-triggering technical foul 7
- PBT Extra: Cavaliers’ improved defense helps them to Finals 8