Apr 12, 2012, 8:02 AM EST
Kevin Love spent the night in a Denver area hospital as a precaution following him leaving Wednesday night’s game in the first quarter with a mild concussion and neck strain.
While the team called it “mild” and said it was not serious, Love must now go through the league’s concussion protocol and be cleared by the league neurologist to step on the court again. It seems unlikely that he will play Thursday when the Wolves take on the Clippers. If he misses any significant time (a week or more) would the team just shut him down for the season?
The injury happened on a fluke play — JaVale McGee caught a pass as he moved into the lane and when turned square up and shoot he inadvertently elbowed Love in the head. Love stayed down on the court for several minutes before being helped to his feet. He went directly to the locker room and did not return to the game.
Since the All-Star break Love has been putting up huge numbers, including averaging 29 points a game. However this fits in with the Timberwolves luck this season — they have already lost Ricky Rubio and Luke Ridnour to injuries.
- Paul Pierce practiced Monday, could return vs. Celtics Tuesday 0
- Report: Kings not done trading, Jason Thompson next on block 4
- The Extra Pass: Raptors’ salary dump trade could mean a few more wins, too; plus Sunday recaps 1
- Kobe is back but loss to Raptors shows Lakers still have a lot of work to do 9
- Sunday night NBA Grades: Rudy Gay traded to Kings, Kobe returns for Lakers 3
- LeBron says Wade is “getting that Kobe deal” in next contract. Should he? (65)
- Dwight Howard frustrated with Rockets’ effort in recent losses (52)
- Kobe Bryant dunks, looks good in Lakers practice; Friday return possible (47)
- Michael Beasley finding a role, groove in Miami (44)
- The Extra Pass: Our awards at the quarter pole, plus Monday recaps (43)