Apr 12, 2012, 12:37 PM EDT
We will go through this one more time, then let this be the end of it. Not because it should be swept under the rug, but because it’s time to move on.
Gilbert Arenas is trying to move on from the gun incident with the Wizards that led to him being suspended for half a season, which is the point of an article in the USA Today. Arenas talks about liking being a role player on a good Memphis team and wanting to just blend in. No more Agent Zero.
But he also gives his side of what happened over a couple of days with the Wizards in some detail.
Then-Wizards center JaVale McGee had beaten (Javaris) Crittenton out of $1,100 in a card game. Wizards guard Earl Boykins loaned McGee $200. McGee didn’t immediately pay back Boykins as he won the money and an argument blossomed. Arenas says he wasn’t involved in the actual bet.
” ‘Pay the man his (expletive) money. You’ve got all my money,’ ” Arenas says Crittenton shouted at McGee. “So I jumped in, ‘Why you talking to your teammates like this? We family.’
“That’s when (Crittenton) started coming at me, ‘(Expletive, racial slur), just because you got all money, this and this and this.’ That’s when we started going back and forth. I didn’t owe him anything. It was over a $1,100 pot he just lost.”
From there, the argument escalated and went over the lines of logic and decency.
“Someone said they were going to shoot me. So since I’m one of those guys who says, ‘I want to see this happen. I want to see you actually shoot me,’ that’s where that came from,” says Arenas, declining to mention that someone by name. “I brought the four guns in and said (in a note), ‘Pick 1, so the day you want to shoot me let me know, I’ll be ready to get shot.’ That’s how.”
We know from all the statements around the court case that Crittenton said he had his own gun in the locker room, separate from the four Arenas laid out in front of his locker. We know there were threats of shooting teammates and destroying cars. We know it was a mess and a black eye for the league and the players involved.
And now we are moving on.
- Markieff Morris: “My future will not be in Phoenix” 13
- Shaq tells Suzy Shuster he, Kobe Bryant could have tied Jordan’s six titles 32
- Dwight Howard tried to take loaded gun through airport security, will not face charges 49
- Will Miami make a run at Kevin Durant? 17
- Report: Veteran forward Chuck Hayes agrees to deal with Clippers 7
- Report: Lakers to sign Brazilian, FC Barcelona point guard Marcelo Huertas to one-year deal 10
- Shaq to Kobe on podcast: “I just want people to know that I don’t hate you” 18
- D’Angelo Russell on Tracy McGrady tweet: “Some Lakers fans are spoiled” 28