Apr 12, 2012, 12:37 PM EDT
We will go through this one more time, then let this be the end of it. Not because it should be swept under the rug, but because it’s time to move on.
Gilbert Arenas is trying to move on from the gun incident with the Wizards that led to him being suspended for half a season, which is the point of an article in the USA Today. Arenas talks about liking being a role player on a good Memphis team and wanting to just blend in. No more Agent Zero.
But he also gives his side of what happened over a couple of days with the Wizards in some detail.
Then-Wizards center JaVale McGee had beaten (Javaris) Crittenton out of $1,100 in a card game. Wizards guard Earl Boykins loaned McGee $200. McGee didn’t immediately pay back Boykins as he won the money and an argument blossomed. Arenas says he wasn’t involved in the actual bet.
” ‘Pay the man his (expletive) money. You’ve got all my money,’ ” Arenas says Crittenton shouted at McGee. “So I jumped in, ‘Why you talking to your teammates like this? We family.’
“That’s when (Crittenton) started coming at me, ‘(Expletive, racial slur), just because you got all money, this and this and this.’ That’s when we started going back and forth. I didn’t owe him anything. It was over a $1,100 pot he just lost.”
From there, the argument escalated and went over the lines of logic and decency.
“Someone said they were going to shoot me. So since I’m one of those guys who says, ‘I want to see this happen. I want to see you actually shoot me,’ that’s where that came from,” says Arenas, declining to mention that someone by name. “I brought the four guns in and said (in a note), ‘Pick 1, so the day you want to shoot me let me know, I’ll be ready to get shot.’ That’s how.”
We know from all the statements around the court case that Crittenton said he had his own gun in the locker room, separate from the four Arenas laid out in front of his locker. We know there were threats of shooting teammates and destroying cars. We know it was a mess and a black eye for the league and the players involved.
And now we are moving on.
- Jahlil Okafor: “Rookie of the Year is one of the goals I set for myself” 13
- Report: Derrick Rose undecided about attending Team USA minicamp 8
- Report: Pacers planning to purchase D-League’s Fort Wayne Mad Ants 3
- Report: Hawks’ Mike Scott told police after arrest all drugs in car were his 17
- NBA lands in Africa trying to put down roots, which is all about youth programs, infrastructure 1
- Report: Kings expected to hire Nancy Lieberman as assistant coach 9
- Report: Hawks’ Mike Scott arrested for felony drug possession 16
- Gilbert Arenas on LeBron James: “James isn’t a #1 option..and yes I (didn’t stutter)” 50