Gilbert Arenas details gun incident with Wizards

Apr 12, 2012, 12:37 PM EDT

Arenas_beardshot

We will go through this one more time, then let this be the end of it. Not because it should be swept under the rug, but because it’s time to move on.

Gilbert Arenas is trying to move on from the gun incident with the Wizards that led to him being suspended for half a season, which is the point of an article in the USA Today. Arenas talks about liking being a role player on a good Memphis team and wanting to just blend in. No more Agent Zero.

But he also gives his side of what happened over a couple of days with the Wizards in some detail.

Then-Wizards center JaVale McGee had beaten (Javaris) Crittenton out of $1,100 in a card game. Wizards guard Earl Boykins loaned McGee $200. McGee didn’t immediately pay back Boykins as he won the money and an argument blossomed. Arenas says he wasn’t involved in the actual bet.

” ‘Pay the man his (expletive) money. You’ve got all my money,’ ” Arenas says Crittenton shouted at McGee. “So I jumped in, ‘Why you talking to your teammates like this? We family.’

“That’s when (Crittenton) started coming at me, ‘(Expletive, racial slur), just because you got all money, this and this and this.’ That’s when we started going back and forth. I didn’t owe him anything. It was over a $1,100 pot he just lost.”

From there, the argument escalated and went over the lines of logic and decency.

“Someone said they were going to shoot me. So since I’m one of those guys who says, ‘I want to see this happen. I want to see you actually shoot me,’ that’s where that came from,” says Arenas, declining to mention that someone by name. “I brought the four guns in and said (in a note), ‘Pick 1, so the day you want to shoot me let me know, I’ll be ready to get shot.’ That’s how.”

We know from all the statements around the court case that Crittenton said he had his own gun in the locker room, separate from the four Arenas laid out in front of his locker. We know there were threats of shooting teammates and destroying cars. We know it was a mess and a black eye for the league and the players involved.

And now we are moving on.

1. boilerup1869 - Apr 12, 2012 at 12:48 PM

Four guns in his locker? Is he expecting to fend off a Soviet invasion or something?

• HitsDingers - Apr 12, 2012 at 6:36 PM

Four guns in his locker? Is he expecting to fend off Delonte El Mariachi?

2. swill881 - Apr 12, 2012 at 1:12 PM

“And now we are moving on.”

Not when you bring it back up.

3. rgledz - Apr 12, 2012 at 1:15 PM

Probably not something that would happen in an NHL locker room. Just sayin….only in the National Basketball Association!

4. kansacity88 - Apr 12, 2012 at 1:33 PM

Holy crap!!! THAT’S what happened? Doesn’t make any sense whatsoever!

5. bobhpine - Apr 12, 2012 at 2:34 PM

Makes sense

6. thebigkahuna23 - Apr 12, 2012 at 2:45 PM

As a wiz fan I’m happy Gil has settled in nicely with Memphis. If you’re not final with him he’s a guy who has twice in his basketball career (high school and with the warriors) pretty much been told he wasn’t good enough to play. Both times he left the teams and proved them to be completely wrong. Unfortunately that’s how he decided to handle most things, in a very self confident to the point of stubbornness and arrogance way. That’s why he took three years to get back from his knee injury, the guy wouldn’t let team doctors touch him.

He did screw us back into the stone age as a team, and I’m still mad about that. However, he was always a positive figure in the community and did a lot for fans while he was here.

7. 00maltliquor - Apr 12, 2012 at 2:58 PM

McGee’s a B****. Pay Boykins the $200 that got you in the game to even win that $1100 you ungreatful S.O.B.!

• boilerup1869 - Apr 12, 2012 at 4:24 PM

Hmm someone sounds suspiciously close to this situation

8. lakerluver - Apr 12, 2012 at 4:14 PM

Seems like Gilbert was joking and that clown Javaris was serious. Doesn’t surprise me he’s in the trouble he’s in now.

9. snoopy2014 - Apr 12, 2012 at 5:18 PM

With all due respect Kurt, you know if this story comes up again and Gilbert talks about it again, that there will be another PBT posting on it. Like you say yourself in your Heat articles, ESPN and PBT will keep posting whatever gets the most clicks. I don’t fault anyone for that, it’s only natural. But it’s a little disingenuous to act as though you’re completely above the dirty/gossip-type stories and that you just want to “move on” when it’s clear PBT will keep posting the story, as long as the players keep bringing it up and it will draw in traffic.

10. pellypell - Apr 12, 2012 at 6:09 PM

That’s gangster.

11. glink123 - Apr 12, 2012 at 8:47 PM

…and now Crittenden is in jail, awaiting trial on a murder-1 charge, for shooting a young woman in the head in Atlanta.

• henryd3rd - Apr 13, 2012 at 1:12 PM

Arenas would be smart to let that story just die and stay out of the limelight. By the way Crittenden is not in jail but he made bail and is presently awaiting trial on those murder charges.

Why can't Lakers have a player-coach?
Top 10 NBA Player Searches