Apr 12, 2012, 9:59 PM EDT
Despite the fact he is coming off knee surgery, and that along with recent back spasms have limited him to playing in just five games this season, Eric Gordon promises to be very popular this summer.
He will be a restricted free agent. And he is considered one of the (if not THE) best up and coming two guards in the league. A lot of teams will have interest, reports Sam Amick at Sports Illustrated.
Sources close to the situation said Indiana, Phoenix, Portland and Dallas are among the teams with interest in Gordon.
But the Hornets can match any offer. And it’s hard to imagine the new ownership group — whoever it ends up being — would not match any offer for an up-and-coming star they can market in the community.
And for his part, Gordon tells Amick he really likes it there.
“The first thing I’d say is that we have a very underrated coach,” Gordon said by phone on Tuesday. “He’s one of the best coaches out there, and we’re definitely an underrated team. I know our record [16-42] doesn’t speak for itself, but I’ve been out more than half the season. The Hornets really do have good fans, too. I really can’t say too many negatives about it.
“Overall, it’s better than what people probably would think if they hadn’t lived here. It’s been enjoyable.”
Glad he likes it, because he is going to be there a while.
- Report: NBA considering week-long break for All-Star Game next year 0
- Report: Knicks made (ridiculous) offer to trade for Kevin Love 31
- Report: Lakers finally offer coaching position to Byron Scott, deal expected soon 24
- Report: Cavaliers leading Kevin Love-trade sweepstakes 41
- Chris Paul on boycott if Sterling is still owner: “That’s something me and Doc are both talking about” 31
- Players union approves of Thunder’s Josh Huestis arrangement 16
- Cavaliers officially sign Andrew Wiggins, putting 30-day hold on him being traded 58
- Lakers deny rumor they are waiting around for Doc Rivers to be coach 61