Apr 12, 2012, 5:41 PM EDT
The Cavaliers loveable mascot — no, not Luke Harangody, the actual mascot — had to be taken to the hospital Wednesday following a play fight with the Pacers David West went wrong, reports the Cleveland Plain Dealer (via SLAM).
Moondog needed to be taken to a local hospital after suffering an eye injury during a pre-game play fight with Indiana Pacers forward David West at The Q on Wednesday night. The Cavalier canine was later released and a team spokesman said he should be fine….
“He jumped at me so I thought we were playing around and then the next thing I know he went down,” West told reporters after the game. “It was definitely an accident.”
Apparently these play fights are a regular part of Moondog’s act and this was just a fluke injury. Insert your own “David West doesn’t know his own strength” comment here. But the guy who plays the mascot was seen in the bowels of the arena (out of public view) with the costume head removed and a towel pressed to his eye.
West later apologized for the incident. And for rapping Moondog on the nose with a rolled up paper. (Okay, he didn’t do the second part of that.)
The best part of the Plain Dealer story, however, was this graph.
The club did not update his status for Sunday’s game against Orlando. It’s unclear whether the Cavs, already without Kyrie Irving and Anderson Varejao among others, will need to promote a mascot from the NBA Development League
- Kendrick Perkins says you’re blowing the LeBron James/Kevin Love thing way out of proportion 4
- Mark Cuban rips officials, NBA: ‘It’s criminal’ how Monta Ellis doesn’t get calls 21
- Shaquille O’Neal says he regrets leaving Magic for Lakers 41
- Cavaliers coach David Blatt: ‘LeBron James is our MVP’ 22
- No Durant, what does that mean for Thunder in these playoffs? Trouble. 15
- Kevin Durant to have third foot surgery; is done for season, playoffs 39
- Goran Dragic leading feisty Heat’s playoff push 29
- NBA Draft prospect matchups to watch in NCAA Tourament this weekend 2