Apr 12, 2012, 5:41 PM EDT
The Cavaliers loveable mascot — no, not Luke Harangody, the actual mascot — had to be taken to the hospital Wednesday following a play fight with the Pacers David West went wrong, reports the Cleveland Plain Dealer (via SLAM).
Moondog needed to be taken to a local hospital after suffering an eye injury during a pre-game play fight with Indiana Pacers forward David West at The Q on Wednesday night. The Cavalier canine was later released and a team spokesman said he should be fine….
“He jumped at me so I thought we were playing around and then the next thing I know he went down,” West told reporters after the game. “It was definitely an accident.”
Apparently these play fights are a regular part of Moondog’s act and this was just a fluke injury. Insert your own “David West doesn’t know his own strength” comment here. But the guy who plays the mascot was seen in the bowels of the arena (out of public view) with the costume head removed and a towel pressed to his eye.
West later apologized for the incident. And for rapping Moondog on the nose with a rolled up paper. (Okay, he didn’t do the second part of that.)
The best part of the Plain Dealer story, however, was this graph.
The club did not update his status for Sunday’s game against Orlando. It’s unclear whether the Cavs, already without Kyrie Irving and Anderson Varejao among others, will need to promote a mascot from the NBA Development League
- Report: Tobias Harris reaches four-year, $64 million extension to stay with Orlando 0
- Report: Rajon Rondo agrees to one-year, $9.5 million deal with Sacramento Kings 32
- Report: DeAndre Jordan agrees to four-year, $80 million deal to join Dallas Mavericks 47
- Report: Kings signing Marco Belinelli to three-year, $19 million contract 16
- Report: Knicks to sign Robin Lopez to four-year, $54 million contract (unless DeAndre Jordan changes his mind) 9
- PBT Extra: Free agent signings we didn’t love 6
- Report: Wes Matthews reaches agreement to join Dallas Mavericks 23
- PBT Extra: Five best free agent signings in the first days of free agency 11