Apr 12, 2012, 5:41 PM EST
The Cavaliers loveable mascot — no, not Luke Harangody, the actual mascot — had to be taken to the hospital Wednesday following a play fight with the Pacers David West went wrong, reports the Cleveland Plain Dealer (via SLAM).
Moondog needed to be taken to a local hospital after suffering an eye injury during a pre-game play fight with Indiana Pacers forward David West at The Q on Wednesday night. The Cavalier canine was later released and a team spokesman said he should be fine….
“He jumped at me so I thought we were playing around and then the next thing I know he went down,” West told reporters after the game. “It was definitely an accident.”
Apparently these play fights are a regular part of Moondog’s act and this was just a fluke injury. Insert your own “David West doesn’t know his own strength” comment here. But the guy who plays the mascot was seen in the bowels of the arena (out of public view) with the costume head removed and a towel pressed to his eye.
West later apologized for the incident. And for rapping Moondog on the nose with a rolled up paper. (Okay, he didn’t do the second part of that.)
The best part of the Plain Dealer story, however, was this graph.
The club did not update his status for Sunday’s game against Orlando. It’s unclear whether the Cavs, already without Kyrie Irving and Anderson Varejao among others, will need to promote a mascot from the NBA Development League
- Knicks lose by 41 points at home to Celtics 13
- LeBron James likely to start at center for Eastern Conference All-Stars 6
- Report: Sixers a viable trade destination for Omer Asik 11
- Report: Jason Kidd safe as Nets coach until team gets healthy 6
- League execs on Kyrie Irving’s recent struggles: ‘He’s pouting’ 30
- LeBron says Wade is “getting that Kobe deal” in next contract. Should he? (64)
- Dwight Howard frustrated with Rockets’ effort in recent losses (52)
- Kobe Bryant dunks, looks good in Lakers practice; Friday return possible (46)
- Michael Beasley finding a role, groove in Miami (44)
- The Extra Pass: Our awards at the quarter pole, plus Monday recaps (42)