Shaq to co-star in sequel to Adam Sandler’s “Grown Ups”

Apr 11, 2012, 5:19 PM EDT

2nd Annual Cartoon Network Hall Of Game Awards - Arrivals Getty Images

I’m not sure which is a stranger idea — that there will be a “Grown Ups 2” or that Shaquille O’Neal will star in it.

But both of those things are happening, according to the Boston Globe (via IamaGM.com).

Retired NBA star Shaquille O’Neal will costar in the sequel to Adam Sandler’s comedy, “Grown Ups,’’ which was filmed in Essex a few years ago. In addition to the 7-foot-1 Shaq, the new movie, which will be shot in Marblehead this summer, will include original cast members Sandler, Chris Rock, Kevin James, David Spade, Salma Hayek, and Maria Bello.

I suppose I shouldn’t be shocked that there is a Grown Ups sequel after it grossed $162 million domestic. I just don’t know anybody that actually saw it. Or liked it.

Shaq was pretty good in “Blue Chips,” which is one of those movies I love to find pop up on cable and always get sucked into it. Of course, there was always “Kazaam,” but as Shaq told GQ:

“I was a medium-level juvenile delinquent from Newark who always dreamed about doing a movie. Someone said, ‘Hey, here’s $7 million, come in and do this genie movie.’ What am I going to say, no?”

No word on what Shaq is getting paid for this movie, although at this point I don’t really think he does things just for the money.

1. acdc363 - Apr 11, 2012 at 5:27 PM

Grown ups sucked

2. tcclark - Apr 11, 2012 at 5:30 PM

Steel never gets any love when we’re talking about Shaq Movies. It’s always Kazaam. I loved Steel when i was a kid

3. passerby23 - Apr 11, 2012 at 5:49 PM

I can safely say that Grown Ups was one of the worst comedies ever made – especially considering the cast. Why a sequel is being made is beyond insane.

4. AlohaMrHand - Apr 11, 2012 at 6:18 PM

Whats more disheartening?Shaq in another film or a Grown Ups sequel?

5. skinsfaninnebraska - Apr 11, 2012 at 6:24 PM

I saw it. There should NOT be a sequel.

6. jthammerstix - Apr 11, 2012 at 6:31 PM

I want a new blue chips. With current players.

7. fordmandalay - Apr 11, 2012 at 6:33 PM

Another horribly unfunny Adam Sandler movie with co-starring someone with even less talent than Sandler. Is this a desperate attempt by Sandler to look funny in comparison?

8. vikingsinla - Apr 11, 2012 at 7:36 PM

Wow, Shaq and Sandle, together? The only way to make it greater box office poison would be to add Eddie Murphy.

9. BigBeachBall - Apr 11, 2012 at 9:31 PM

does this mean the kazaam sequel isn’t happening?

10. boilerup1869 - Apr 11, 2012 at 10:08 PM

Shaq is hilarious but Adam Sandler needs to cool it with pumping out movies for a while. They have been pretty brutal for the past 5-6 years.

11. Chip Caray's Eyebrows - Apr 11, 2012 at 10:39 PM

I’m sure it will be a real turd.

12. vols84 - Apr 11, 2012 at 10:57 PM

I thought this was going to be about the much anticipated sequel to Shazam

13. vols84 - Apr 11, 2012 at 10:58 PM

Meant kazam

14. mrlitl - Apr 11, 2012 at 11:47 PM

I agree jthammerstix. A new Blue Chips would be epic. Or it would really suck. Either way it’d be cool.

15. thebigkahuna23 - Apr 12, 2012 at 11:15 AM

I’m hoping this will be more or less Sandler’s apology for jack and Jill. The commercial for that movie literally put me into a quarter life crisis. Adam Sandler was hillarious when I was younger. Seeing him sell out so hard and so fast was heart breaking.

Warriors vs. Clippers playoff preview