Apr 11, 2012, 2:55 PM EDT
We have no idea who will be on the Celtics roster next October when training camp opens.
But we do know whoever it is will need working passports as part of training camp will be in Turkey and Italy.
The Celtics will have part of their training camp and play some preseason games in Istanbul and Milan, reports the Boston Herald.
Sources have confirmed that, barring any logistical problems overseas, the Celts will hold workouts and face European teams in both sites. There are still some contracts to be signed, but at present the C’s will play in Turkey on Oct. 5, and in Italy on Oct. 7.
Team president Danny Ainge had no comment on the matter when it was presented to him yesterday, but it appears as though coach Doc Rivers will get his wish of going away for camp. Rivers always has spoken of his fondness of taking his team away from the familiar surroundings in the Boston area so the players can bond.
Bonding may be especially important for the Celtics next year with the roster changes that are coming.
Istanbul is home to Besiktas, the team that both Allen Iverson and Deron Williams played with.
This is a smart business move, as well. The NBA is the biggest and best basketball league in the world and the Celtics are now an international brand. In the same way the best of European soccer — and Man City — come to play in the United States before the season (or in Asia), it makes sense for the NBA to send its teams out as ambassadors.
- Ray Allen: “I won’t officially retire” 16
- Report: Adidas makes $200 million offer to James Harden 23
- Jahlil Okafor: “Rookie of the Year is one of the goals I set for myself” 16
- Report: Derrick Rose undecided about attending Team USA minicamp 9
- Report: Pacers planning to purchase D-League’s Fort Wayne Mad Ants 4
- Report: Hawks’ Mike Scott told police after arrest all drugs in car were his 17
- NBA lands in Africa trying to put down roots, which is all about youth programs, infrastructure 1
- Report: Kings expected to hire Nancy Lieberman as assistant coach 9