Apr 11, 2012, 2:55 PM EDT
We have no idea who will be on the Celtics roster next October when training camp opens.
But we do know whoever it is will need working passports as part of training camp will be in Turkey and Italy.
The Celtics will have part of their training camp and play some preseason games in Istanbul and Milan, reports the Boston Herald.
Sources have confirmed that, barring any logistical problems overseas, the Celts will hold workouts and face European teams in both sites. There are still some contracts to be signed, but at present the C’s will play in Turkey on Oct. 5, and in Italy on Oct. 7.
Team president Danny Ainge had no comment on the matter when it was presented to him yesterday, but it appears as though coach Doc Rivers will get his wish of going away for camp. Rivers always has spoken of his fondness of taking his team away from the familiar surroundings in the Boston area so the players can bond.
Bonding may be especially important for the Celtics next year with the roster changes that are coming.
Istanbul is home to Besiktas, the team that both Allen Iverson and Deron Williams played with.
This is a smart business move, as well. The NBA is the biggest and best basketball league in the world and the Celtics are now an international brand. In the same way the best of European soccer — and Man City — come to play in the United States before the season (or in Asia), it makes sense for the NBA to send its teams out as ambassadors.
- PBT Extra: Previewing Heat/Spurs NBA Finals Game 7 0
- Utah Jazz bring back Jerry Sloan as team consultant 3
- Celtics, Clippers restart Doc Rivers-Kevin Garnett trades talks at Chris Paul’s wish 9
- Chris Bosh to fans who left Game 6 early: ‘Don’t come back for Game 7′ 35
- Wade says left knee sore, swollen, but will play through it 16
- NBA Finals Game 6: Heat comeback in fourth, win in overtime to force Game 7 (125)
- If Spurs win, it is LeBron’s legacy that will take biggest hit (85)
- Lakers unlikely to sign and trade Dwight Howard to the Clippers, Rockets, or anyone else (81)
- Chris Bosh blocks Spurs’ Game 6 comeback attempt (video) (79)
- Heat’s Big Three dominate Game 4 to even the Finals at two games apiece (74)
- LIVE: Bruins-Blackhawks, Game 4
- Posnanski: How Heat won a game of mistakes
- PHT: Can Blackhawks solve Rask in Game 4?
- PFT: Report: Hernandez accused of prior shooting
- CSN: Report: Hernandez 'not ruled out' as suspect
- GTC: Tiger pulls out of AT&T citing elbow issue
- HBT: Biogenesis suspensions still likely coming
- Play Video: Bosh: 'We'll see who hits first'
- Play Video: Clippers, Celtics discussions 'can't be wrong'
- Play Video: Elliot looks ahead to Game 6
- Play Video: The Hype: How much would you pay to punch someone?
- Play Video: If Heat lose, 'all hell will break loose'
- Play Video: Green breaks NBA finals 3-point record