Apr 11, 2012, 4:36 PM EDT
Dwight Howard didn’t play for Orlando Tuesday night and they lost to the lowly Wizards. That says just about all you need to know about how good they are without Howard (and why ownership is so desperate to keep him).
Expect Howard to suit up Friday night when the Magic take on the Hawks in a game that could have all kinds of playoff implications. He has already missed four games due to back spasms.
Here is what Stan Van Gundy said to the Orlando Sentinel.
“He’s getting better,” Van Gundy said. “So we’re not concerned.”
Van Gundy said that Howard could have played agains the Wizards, but said the team didn’t want him taking contact now in the post.
Orlando is currently the six seed in the East, and with Philadelphia three games back in the seven spot Orlando is not likely to fall back without a total collapse. Which they have looked on the verge of lately.
Orlando is half a game back of Atlanta in the five seed and a game and a half back of the Pacers with the three seed. Boston is the four seed — and the hottest team, which means teams may be trying hard to avoid them in the first round.
- Report: Tobias Harris reaches four-year, $64 million extension to stay with Orlando 15
- Report: Rajon Rondo agrees to one-year, $9.5 million deal with Sacramento Kings 44
- Report: DeAndre Jordan agrees to four-year, $80 million deal to join Dallas Mavericks 53
- Report: Kings signing Marco Belinelli to three-year, $19 million contract 19
- Report: Knicks to sign Robin Lopez to four-year, $54 million contract (unless DeAndre Jordan changes his mind) 12
- PBT Extra: Free agent signings we didn’t love 6
- Report: Wes Matthews reaches agreement to join Dallas Mavericks 23
- PBT Extra: Five best free agent signings in the first days of free agency 11