Apr 10, 2012, 11:26 AM EDT
Shouldn’t we have known that if you asked Phil Jackson about what is going on with Andrew Bynum his reaction would have been to relax, let things play out, it will all work out like it is supposed to?
Jackson took time from
playing with his Zen sand garden writing his newest book to speak with Mike Bresnahan of the Los Angeles Times about Bynum, as the Lakers center has been the focus of controversy lately.
“Bynum is not quite mature, but everyone should relax and watch him grow up,” Jackson said via email. “This year has been a big step for him offensively…nice to see…and when he takes up the mantle as defensive captain the Lakers can get back in the hunt.”
Vintage PJ. Don’t deflate Bynum’s ego with negativity — did you hear that Stan Van Gundy? — but still find a way to point out he has some growing up to do and is not consistent at the defensive end. (As evidence, we present the Lakers blowout loss to the Suns last Saturday.)
You get the feeling this comment might have a bigger impact on Bynum than anything Mike Brown says at this point. Especially if he says it in a team huddle.
- If Spurs win, it is LeBron’s legacy that will take biggest hit (82)
- Lakers unlikely to sign and trade Dwight Howard to the Clippers, Rockets, or anyone else (81)
- LeBron James: “I just have to play better” (77)
- Heat’s Big Three dominate Game 4 to even the Finals at two games apiece (74)
- Report: Clippers, Celtics talks to send Garnett, Rivers to L.A. stalled (72)
- Can Heat focus enough to avoid elimination?
- CSN: Bruins' defense never rests in Game 3 win
- CSN: Celtics-Clippers KG, Rivers trade talks dead
- PFT: Freed Johnson wants second chance in NFL
- PBT: Judges rules Iverson did not kidnap children
- PFT: Rodgers says Packers' moves a 'wake-up call'
- PFT: Beckham turned down chance to kick in NFL
- Play Video: Bosh: 'We'll see who hits first'
- Play Video: PBT Extra: LeBron's legacy at stake, Duncan's safe
- Play Video: Clippers, Celtics discussions 'can't be wrong'
- Play Video: Elliot looks ahead to Game 6
- Play Video: The Hype: How much would you pay to punch someone?
- Play Video: If Heat lose, 'all hell will break loose'