Apr 10, 2012, 11:26 AM EDT
Shouldn’t we have known that if you asked Phil Jackson about what is going on with Andrew Bynum his reaction would have been to relax, let things play out, it will all work out like it is supposed to?
Jackson took time from
playing with his Zen sand garden writing his newest book to speak with Mike Bresnahan of the Los Angeles Times about Bynum, as the Lakers center has been the focus of controversy lately.
“Bynum is not quite mature, but everyone should relax and watch him grow up,” Jackson said via email. “This year has been a big step for him offensively…nice to see…and when he takes up the mantle as defensive captain the Lakers can get back in the hunt.”
Vintage PJ. Don’t deflate Bynum’s ego with negativity — did you hear that Stan Van Gundy? — but still find a way to point out he has some growing up to do and is not consistent at the defensive end. (As evidence, we present the Lakers blowout loss to the Suns last Saturday.)
You get the feeling this comment might have a bigger impact on Bynum than anything Mike Brown says at this point. Especially if he says it in a team huddle.
- Report: Warriors, Draymond Green agree to five-year, $85 million deal 9
- 76ers get Nik Stauskas, first-rounder in salary-dump trade with Kings 25
- Report: Pelicans finalizing deal with Omer Asik 2
- Reports: Paul Pierce agrees to three-year, $10 million contract with Los Angeles Clippers 21
- Report: LaMarcus Aldridge rules out Lakers in free agent decision 99
- Reports: Phoenix Suns sign Tyson Chandler, re-sign Brandon Knight, try to reshape roster 11
- Kevin Love will return to Cavaliers, contract is reportedly $110 million over five years 78
- Report: Spurs reach deal to trade Tiago Splitter to Hawks, create cap space for LaMarcus Aldridge offer 27