Apr 10, 2012, 1:00 PM EST
The Nets did not get Dwight Howard to pair with Deron Williams as the team heads to Brooklyn. (Although, if the Magic knew then what they know now, don’t you think they pull the trigger on that deal?)
The Nets are not good. They likely will not be good when they move into the Barclay’s Center in Brooklyn next year Which means it’s going to be hard to keep Williams with the team. He can opt-out of his deal this summer and will, then he can re-sign with the Nets, head to his home town Dallas (where owner Mark Cuban has set it up so they can offer a max deal) or anywhere else he wants.
Nets owner Mikhail Prokhorov wants a start to market when the team moves into New York next year — that other team in the city has stars — and he said in a media session at the new building he spoke to Williams about staying. Here are his quotes, via the twitter of Ken Berger of CBSSports.com.
Prokhorov, asked again about D-Will, reveals that he met with the All-Star point guard yesterday… Prokhorov on D-Will: “He wants to win, and I want to win maybe even more
Prokhorov on Mark Cuban competing for D-Will: “Let the best man win. If he wins, I will crush him in kickboxing throwdown.”
Oh God, please let their be a Cuban vs. Prokhorov throwdown. I will pay whatever the pay-per-view fee is to see that. Do it for charity, guys — think of the children.
Prokhorov’s problem is that D-Will does want to win badly and it’s hard to see that future with the Nets short term, but it is pretty easy in Dallas or even somewhere like Indiana (which also has cap space). The Nets advantage is that Williams has enjoyed living in New York and the marketing opportunities that brings him (he has signed a deal with Red Bull, for example).
- League suspends James Harden one game for kick to LeBron James’ groin 7
- PBT’s weekly NBA Power Rankings: Hawks seem to be out of malaise. Maybe. 8
- Report: Jimmy Butler could miss three to four weeks with elbow injury 5
- Five Things We Learned in NBA Sunday: James Harden, LeBron James want your MVP vote 11
- Report: Sixers agree to buyout with JaVale McGee; he can sign with contender 36
- Bulls’ Jimmy Butler leaves with elbow injury, does not return (VIDEO) 0
- Adam Silver says data may prove Gregg Popovich right in terms of resting multiple players 18
- Rockets general manager Daryl Morey proposes loosening NBA trade rules 6