Apr 10, 2012, 1:00 PM EDT
The Nets did not get Dwight Howard to pair with Deron Williams as the team heads to Brooklyn. (Although, if the Magic knew then what they know now, don’t you think they pull the trigger on that deal?)
The Nets are not good. They likely will not be good when they move into the Barclay’s Center in Brooklyn next year Which means it’s going to be hard to keep Williams with the team. He can opt-out of his deal this summer and will, then he can re-sign with the Nets, head to his home town Dallas (where owner Mark Cuban has set it up so they can offer a max deal) or anywhere else he wants.
Nets owner Mikhail Prokhorov wants a start to market when the team moves into New York next year — that other team in the city has stars — and he said in a media session at the new building he spoke to Williams about staying. Here are his quotes, via the twitter of Ken Berger of CBSSports.com.
Prokhorov, asked again about D-Will, reveals that he met with the All-Star point guard yesterday… Prokhorov on D-Will: “He wants to win, and I want to win maybe even more
Prokhorov on Mark Cuban competing for D-Will: “Let the best man win. If he wins, I will crush him in kickboxing throwdown.”
Oh God, please let their be a Cuban vs. Prokhorov throwdown. I will pay whatever the pay-per-view fee is to see that. Do it for charity, guys — think of the children.
Prokhorov’s problem is that D-Will does want to win badly and it’s hard to see that future with the Nets short term, but it is pretty easy in Dallas or even somewhere like Indiana (which also has cap space). The Nets advantage is that Williams has enjoyed living in New York and the marketing opportunities that brings him (he has signed a deal with Red Bull, for example).
- Cavaliers sold Kyrie Irving on contract extension with LeBron James-Kevin Love plan 30
- Kevin Love says Timberwolves owner should focus on his own team following trade to Cavaliers 31
- Iman Shumpert excited to play in triangle offense because he won’t just have to stand in the corner 6
- Timberwolves owner: Kevin Love might regret trade because he’ll be third banana with Cavaliers 48
- Anthony Davis and Kenneth Faried lead Team USA in final World Cup tune-up 20
- Thunder trade Hasheem Thabeet to 76ers 37
- From late-arriving to a LeBron James favorite, Kevin Love comes full circle 17
- Clippers trade Jared Dudley and first rounder to Bucks for Carlos Delfino and Miroslav Raduljica 23