Apr 10, 2012, 7:31 PM EDT
Great Britain is not a basketball powerhouse.
But as the Olympic games are in London this year their usually forgotten national basketball team — overshadowed by the likes of Spain, France and Greece — gets a spot in the big dance. British hoopsters are Olympics bound.
And they will have three NBA players on the squad, the team announced — Chicago’s Luol Deng, Detroit’s Ben Gordon and Charlotte center Byron Mullins are on the nation’s preliminary list of 21 players. Hard to think any of them doesn’t make the squad if healthy.
Great Britain is not going to medal, and almost certainly won’t even get out of pool play. But there were concerns that they could embarrass themselves. They had to prove to FIBA in international tournaments they even deserved the host’s berth.
With those three guys, they are not going to embarrass themselves. And Gordon is even the kind of guy on a hot day can almost win a game by himself.
This is going to be a fun summer tournament (and you can keep up with all of it at PBT… but we’ve got to get through the NBA playoffs before we turn our focus there.
- Pacers advance to the Eastern Conference Finals with Game 6 win over Knicks 18
- Roy Hibbert with the monster block on a dunk attempt from Carmelo Anthony (VIDEO) 18
- Nate Robinson unlikely to return to Bulls next season 11
- Preview: Knicks try to continue longshot comeback in Indiana 8
- George Hill cleared to play for Pacers in Game 6 vs. Knicks 10
- Knicks predictably drop Game 4 to Pacers, fall behind 3-1 (93)
- LeBron James shrugs off claims he’s a flopper (64)
- Kobe Bryant responds to Michael Jordan comparison from Phil Jackson (64)
- Seattle group releases statement; forced to wait, hope for expansion (63)
- Bad shooting night for Bulls dooms them in game Game 4. And series. (62)
- Oxbow ends Orb's Triple Crown hopes
- PBT: Pacers top Knicks, punch ticket to conf. finals
- PST: Teary Beckham likely plays final game
- PFT: Pre-draft fears about Gronk coming true
- MST: Carpenter wins pole for 97th Indianapolis 500
- CBT: Chance Coach K returns for '16 Games
- PHT: Couture strikes in OT, lifting Sharks in Game 3
- Play Video: Grizzlies ready for 'running' Spurs
- Play Video: Durant won't 'compromise himself' like other stars
- Play Video: Knicks avoid elimination
- Play Video: Heat finish off Bulls, James 'has no energy left'
- Play Video: Health woes make Heat vulnerable
- Play Video: Good news for Sacramento, Kings stay