Apr 10, 2012, 6:21 PM EDT
The NBA D-League made the following announcement today (h/t: iamagm.com)
The NBA Development League (NBA D-League) experienced its most successful season ever in developing NBA talent as it set all-time records with 50 GATORADE Call-ups, breaking the previous record of 40 set during the 2009-10 season, and 64 NBA player assignments, surpassing the previous record of 56 assignments established last year.
As the NBA regular season draws to a close, 25 percent of team rosters consist of players with NBA D-League experience (108), including 36 percent from the 2010 and 2011 NBA Draft classes (43). Featuring former Erie BayHawks and Reno Bighorns star Jeremy Lin of the New York Knicks, former Los Angeles D-Fenders star Gerald Green of the New Jersey Nets, former Tulsa 66ers star Ramon Sessions of the Los Angeles Lakers and former Rio Grande Valley Viper star C.J. Watson of the Chicago Bulls, all 30 NBA teams now have at least one player who previously made his mark in the NBA D-League.
None of this should be surprising: teams are getting more and more comfortable using the D-League as a place to find players, the lockout-compressed season necessitated a need for more fresh legs and injury replacements, and players like Jeremy Lin are making teams realize that former D-Leaguers can turn into really, really effective players.
The D-League will never be a “true” minor league system like baseball’s is — don’t expect Anthony Davis to spend a minute in the D-League next year unless he’s rehabbing an injury — but it’s become an extremely valuable resource to a number of teams. Even though the money that top European teams pay will likely always be better than what D-League teams can offer, it appears that the D-League is here to stay.
- Report: Hawks’ Mike Scott told police after arrest all drugs in car were his 7
- NBA lands in Africa trying to put down roots, which is all about youth programs, infrastructure 0
- Report: Kings expected to hire Nancy Lieberman as assistant coach 8
- Report: Hawks’ Mike Scott arrested for felony drug possession 16
- Gilbert Arenas on LeBron James: “James isn’t a #1 option..and yes I (didn’t stutter)” 47
- Report: Veteran point guard Andre Miller reaches one-year deal with Timberwolves 10
- Who is still out there: Top 10 free agents still on the market 14
- Donald Trump says he’s becoming a Mavericks fan after Mark Cuban’s comments 48