Apr 10, 2012, 9:48 AM EDT
A lot of teams don’t like to use the “R” word — rebuild — because they fear it will scare off ticket buyers. Which strikes me as thinking your fans are shallow or stupid — fans of a team want hope, and they will come pay to see and cheer on young players so long as they see a future developing.
Whether the Trail Blazers want to admit it or not, they are rebuilding. They will have a lot of cap space and a couple first round draft picks this year as the roster is re-shaped in the post Greg Oden/Brandon Roy era.
But the Blazers do already have a star — LaMarcus Aldridge. One of the best young power forwards in the game. An All-Star. And those kinds of players often do not want to ride out a rebuild.
But Aldridge is good with it, he tells CSNNW.com.
“I don’t think I’ve reached my prime yet,” LaMarcus Aldridge said. “So, if we get a good group of rookies in this draft, they’ll be able to gain some experience in the next couple of years and we’ll be a force a couple of years from now….
“You don’t reach your prime until you’re about 28 or 29,” Aldridge said. “I’m 26 so I got a few more years until then. If we bring in the right guys, we’ll be very good down the road.”
My guess is Blazers fans — a loyal and knowledgeable fan base — feel the same way. Changes had to be made, it was time to move on no matter how much Roy is loved.
The Blazers have a chance here. All they really need is a GM with the vision, a coach who can coach it and smart moves. That includes ownership staying out of the way of the basketball people. All that is what should make Blazers fans nervous, not simply the idea of a rebuild.
- Steve Nash to miss entire 2014-15 season with ongoing back injuries 41
- Jeanie Buss: ‘Any free agent that would be afraid to play with Kobe Bryant is probably a loser’ 59
- ProBasketballTalk 2014-15 Preview: Memphis Grizzlies 7
- Five top candidates for NBA Rookie of the Year 30
- NBA GMs surveyed predict LeBron will win MVP, Spurs will repeat as champions 31
- Owners vote down NBA Draft lottery reform, system to stay same for this season 47
- ProBasketballTalk 2014-15 preview: Houston Rockets 26
- Kobe Bryant responds to ESPN article with basically a shrug (VIDEO) 23