Apr 10, 2012, 10:42 AM EDT
Indiana’s center Cody Zeller is considered a lock lottery pick — DraftExpress has him there — but he released a statement through the university Tuesday that he is staying for his sophomore year in college.
So, as of April 10 he is staying. However, he has until April 29 to change his mind and put his name in the NBA draft.
“I grew up hoping that one day I would get the opportunity to play in the NBA, but at this point, I’m not ready for my college experience to be over,” Zeller said in his released statement. “Coach Crean and my family were very supportive and helpful as I made my decision.”
I bet Crean was pretty pumped he was staying.
While the NCAA has made Tuesday the last day players can withdraw their name from the draft, they can put their name in until the NBA’s April 29 deadline. Meaning Zeller can still enter the draft, but if he does he cannot back out.
How you fall on Zeller’s decision pretty much says how you feel about players leaving college early in the first place. Indiana was expected to be one of the top teams in the nation next year with Zeller back, he gets more of an education, he gets time for his game to develop. There are certainly big draws.
But there are risks to his financial future. Right now he is a lock lottery pick. While he could go higher in a less-deep draft next year, he could also see himself slip down the board. What’s more, he puts off starting the clock on his rookie deal by a year, pushing back the very lucrative second contract for a season, reducing the years he can earn in the NBA. (That’s another reason the NBA owners want an older age limit — reduce the years guys are max earners in the NBA. Save some money.) Of course, there is also the injury concern, but I don’t really want to think about that.
Indiana’s other forward, Christian Watford, said he will be coming back for his senior season as well. Smart move. He would be late second round to undrafted, which means no guaranteed money. Stay in school, get your degree first in this case.
- PBT Extra: Talking Heat/Pacers, and why Indy might be optimistic 0
- If Phil Jackson could have any player to start a team it would be… Bill Russell 23
- LeBron, Durant, Kobe headline All NBA First Team 21
- It’s official: Krzyzewski back to coach Team USA through Rio Olympics 1
- Hibbert said he will speak up in future, demand to be in game at end 11
- Report: Dwight Howard will consider multiple teams in free agency, is said to be most intrigued by the Rockets (122)
- Kobe Bryant responds to Michael Jordan comparison from Phil Jackson (90)
- Alonzo Mourning says Scottie Pippen says LeBron would “kick Jordan’s ass” (76)
- Bradley Beal said he’d lose respect for a teammate who acted like Derrick Rose (67)
- Pacers advance to the Eastern Conference Finals with Game 6 win over Knicks (60)
- WATCH LIVE: Wings-Hawks, Game 4
- PHT: Rangers live another day, edge Bruins in OT
- PBT: Hibbert says Battier's knee to groin intentional
- OlyTalk: Lochte says Phelps will return soon
- CSN: Francona returns to Boston | Legacy?
- Tebow fact: He reminds Chuck Norris of Chuck Norris
- LeBron stuns Pacers with OT winner in Game 1