Apr 10, 2012, 1:25 PM EDT
The Suns are trying to making a late push for the postseason, but have had to do so without Grant Hill, the team’s best defensive player, for the last eight games. He may, however, be ready to rejoin them for the final six of the regular season.
Hill had arthroscopic surgery on his right knee to repair a meniscus tear back on March 30, but he could be back for next Monday’s home game versus the Blazers — or even sooner, reports Paul Coro of the Arizona Republic:
If Hill had it his way, it might even be earlier, but the athletic trainers will be cautious with his return date as they monitor his reactions to daily increases in his workouts. Hill went through a rigorous pregame workout Monday night of plyometics, sprints and shooting that had him drenched in sweat. Earlier Monday, Hill did a workout of lateral basketball movements for the first time.
Phoenix has gone 5-3 with Hill sidelined, and has won five of its last six. Despite the recent success, the Suns are still on the outside of the playoff picture looking in as of today, sitting a game behind Dallas and Denver for one of the final two spots in the West.
After the home game against Portland that Hill is targeting for his return, Phoenix plays four of its final five games on the road, and does so against some of the league’s stronger teams — Oklahoma City, Denver, the L.A. Clippers, and San Antonio are among those stops.
Sneaking into the playoffs with that schedule is going to be extremely tough, but Grant Hill’s return will certainly help the cause.
- Pacers advance to the Eastern Conference Finals with Game 6 win over Knicks 18
- Roy Hibbert with the monster block on a dunk attempt from Carmelo Anthony (VIDEO) 18
- Nate Robinson unlikely to return to Bulls next season 11
- Preview: Knicks try to continue longshot comeback in Indiana 8
- George Hill cleared to play for Pacers in Game 6 vs. Knicks 10
- Knicks predictably drop Game 4 to Pacers, fall behind 3-1 (93)
- LeBron James shrugs off claims he’s a flopper (64)
- Kobe Bryant responds to Michael Jordan comparison from Phil Jackson (64)
- Seattle group releases statement; forced to wait, hope for expansion (63)
- Bad shooting night for Bulls dooms them in game Game 4. And series. (62)
- Oxbow ends Orb's Triple Crown hopes
- PBT: Pacers top Knicks, punch ticket to conf. finals
- PST: Teary Beckham likely plays final game
- PFT: Pre-draft fears about Gronk coming true
- MST: Carpenter wins pole for 97th Indianapolis 500
- CBT: Chance Coach K returns for '16 Games
- PHT: Couture strikes in OT, lifting Sharks in Game 3
- Play Video: Grizzlies ready for 'running' Spurs
- Play Video: Durant won't 'compromise himself' like other stars
- Play Video: Knicks avoid elimination
- Play Video: Heat finish off Bulls, James 'has no energy left'
- Play Video: Health woes make Heat vulnerable
- Play Video: Good news for Sacramento, Kings stay