Apr 10, 2012, 1:25 PM EDT
The Suns are trying to making a late push for the postseason, but have had to do so without Grant Hill, the team’s best defensive player, for the last eight games. He may, however, be ready to rejoin them for the final six of the regular season.
Hill had arthroscopic surgery on his right knee to repair a meniscus tear back on March 30, but he could be back for next Monday’s home game versus the Blazers — or even sooner, reports Paul Coro of the Arizona Republic:
If Hill had it his way, it might even be earlier, but the athletic trainers will be cautious with his return date as they monitor his reactions to daily increases in his workouts. Hill went through a rigorous pregame workout Monday night of plyometics, sprints and shooting that had him drenched in sweat. Earlier Monday, Hill did a workout of lateral basketball movements for the first time.
Phoenix has gone 5-3 with Hill sidelined, and has won five of its last six. Despite the recent success, the Suns are still on the outside of the playoff picture looking in as of today, sitting a game behind Dallas and Denver for one of the final two spots in the West.
After the home game against Portland that Hill is targeting for his return, Phoenix plays four of its final five games on the road, and does so against some of the league’s stronger teams — Oklahoma City, Denver, the L.A. Clippers, and San Antonio are among those stops.
Sneaking into the playoffs with that schedule is going to be extremely tough, but Grant Hill’s return will certainly help the cause.
- Andray Blatche signs deal to play in China next season 3
- UPDATED Report: Timberwolves make push for Eric Bledsoe, Suns not interested in sign-and-trade talks 38
- LeBron James unveils latest signature shoe from Nike: The LEBRON 12 12
- ProBasketballTalk 2014-15 Preview: Toronto Raptors 10
- Dwyane Wade credits David Stern’s dress code for improving his style 18
- Kevin Durant has grown close with Karl Malone 15
- ProBasketballTalk 2014-15 Preview: Philadelphia 76ers 5
- Steve Kerr said Danny Ferry made mistake but is a “man of high character” 38