Apr 10, 2012, 1:25 PM EDT
The Suns are trying to making a late push for the postseason, but have had to do so without Grant Hill, the team’s best defensive player, for the last eight games. He may, however, be ready to rejoin them for the final six of the regular season.
Hill had arthroscopic surgery on his right knee to repair a meniscus tear back on March 30, but he could be back for next Monday’s home game versus the Blazers — or even sooner, reports Paul Coro of the Arizona Republic:
If Hill had it his way, it might even be earlier, but the athletic trainers will be cautious with his return date as they monitor his reactions to daily increases in his workouts. Hill went through a rigorous pregame workout Monday night of plyometics, sprints and shooting that had him drenched in sweat. Earlier Monday, Hill did a workout of lateral basketball movements for the first time.
Phoenix has gone 5-3 with Hill sidelined, and has won five of its last six. Despite the recent success, the Suns are still on the outside of the playoff picture looking in as of today, sitting a game behind Dallas and Denver for one of the final two spots in the West.
After the home game against Portland that Hill is targeting for his return, Phoenix plays four of its final five games on the road, and does so against some of the league’s stronger teams — Oklahoma City, Denver, the L.A. Clippers, and San Antonio are among those stops.
Sneaking into the playoffs with that schedule is going to be extremely tough, but Grant Hill’s return will certainly help the cause.
- Cavaliers sold Kyrie Irving on contract extension with LeBron James-Kevin Love plan 32
- Kevin Love says Timberwolves owner should focus on his own team following trade to Cavaliers 32
- Iman Shumpert excited to play in triangle offense because he won’t just have to stand in the corner 6
- Timberwolves owner: Kevin Love might regret trade because he’ll be third banana with Cavaliers 48
- Anthony Davis and Kenneth Faried lead Team USA in final World Cup tune-up 20
- Thunder trade Hasheem Thabeet to 76ers 37
- From late-arriving to a LeBron James favorite, Kevin Love comes full circle 17
- Clippers trade Jared Dudley and first rounder to Bucks for Carlos Delfino and Miroslav Raduljica 23