Apr 9, 2012, 7:49 PM EDT
“The work he put in to be a great player and the work you put in to be a great executive, those are different things,” said Sam Vincent, whom Jordan hired as his head coach in 2007 less than a year after he became minority owner. “That additional time you spend on jump shots, running, dunking, I don’t know if he puts in that same amount of time as an executive or if he even cares to.”
This shouldn’t be particularly surprising news to anybody: many great ex-players who go into front-office careers after their playing days are over seem to rely on their instincts, while being a successful front office man in today’s NBA requires a grueling work schedule in order to keep up with prospect scouting, advanced scouting, new statistical tools, and hours and hours of film study on opposing players.
Jordan, who has always loved golf and gambling, isn’t the archetypal front office man for today’s NBA, and his time in the Wizards’ and Bobcats’ front office seems to be showing that his front-office instincts aren’t nearly as good as the on-court instincts that allowed him to lead the Bulls to 6 NBA Championships.
The Bobcats are currently 7-47, and it’s almost certain that they’ll finish with the NBA’s worst record this season. Winning the lottery and snagging Anthony Davis could help turn the team around, but they may need to make some changes at the very top of the organization in order to become a competitive franchise.
- Gilbert Arenas on LeBron James: “James isn’t a #1 option..and yes I (didn’t stutter)” 17
- Report: Veteran point guard Andre Miller reaches one-year deal with Timberwolves 8
- Who is still out there: Top 10 free agents still on the market 12
- Donald Trump says he’s becoming a Mavericks fan after Mark Cuban’s comments 47
- Report: Michael Jordan shot down Boston draft-day effort to get Charlotte No. 9 pick 31
- Wisconsin State Assembly passes Bucks arena deal, clearing the way for Gov. Walker to sign 40
- Phil Jackson says Knicks wanted Goran Dragic at trade deadline. Because he’s such a triangle fit? 16
- Report: Cavaliers sign Matthew Dellavedova 10