Apr 9, 2012, 3:07 PM EDT
But this is the kind of player that scares NBA general managers because he feels boom or bust. ESPN’s Chad Ford put it well once: “A” game and a “C” motor. That said he had to enter the draft because Jones is a lottery pick — DraftExpress has him going No. 9 overall — and he could make some GM look brilliant. Or get him fired.
When he is focused the 6-11, 235-pound forward is as good as anybody in this draft. He is long, athletic and can rebound and defend. But, really where he shines is his handles and perimeter game — he’s a four that could play the three.
Jones is a guy that can dazzle you one game then disappear into the background the next. In back-to-back games against quality opponents Memphis and Kansas in February he was a combined 3-20 shooting and had no real impacts on the game.
Interviews and individual workouts will matter here. The concern for NBA GMs is simply this: If this guy can coast and seem content in college, what happens when he gets millions in a rookie contract?
But he is in, and somebody is going to take a chance on him in the lottery.
- Report: Dwight Howard will consider multiple teams in free agency, is said to be most intrigued by the Rockets (121)
- Kobe Bryant responds to Michael Jordan comparison from Phil Jackson (88)
- Alonzo Mourning says Scottie Pippen says LeBron would “kick Jordan’s ass” (75)
- Bradley Beal said he’d lose respect for a teammate who acted like Derrick Rose (67)
- Seattle group releases statement; forced to wait, hope for expansion (64)
- Live Extra: Watch Bruins-Rangers, Game 3
- Durant pledges $1 million for tornado victims
- GTC: Garcia offers Tiger 'fried chicken' for dinner
- Golden Super Bowl to Bay Area; LI to Houston
- PBT: Grizzlies aim to stem Spurs' momentum
- CSN: Tiger admits he and Sergio don't get along
- HBT: Yankees buying share of expansion MLS team
- Play Video: Metta World Peace the weatherman
- Play Video: Eastern Conference finals preview
- Play Video: Heat gearing for another physical battle
- Play Video: Phil Jackson compares MJ and Kobe
- Play Video: Grizzlies ready for 'running' Spurs
- Play Video: Durant won't 'compromise himself' like other stars