Mavericks sound like team ready to move on from Odom

Apr 9, 2012, 3:45 PM EST

Lamar Odom Getty Images

Just like after the Mavericks last game, coach Rick Carlisle was not going to talk about Lamar Odom on Monday. All he said is they wouldn’t have trouble filling his playing time, which was all of 4 minutes last game and 34 over the last four.

So reporters turned to ask veteran Jason Terry if Odom was a distraction. (Via ESPNDallas.com.)

“Key word: was. He’s not here anymore,” Terry said … “We won’t know how much we miss him until the season’s over, I guess.”

In statement after statement Monday afternoon the Mavericks sounded like a team just ready to move on from the Odom issue and get on with the playoffs. Earlier on Monday it was announced the Mavericks and Odom had come to an agreement to go their separate ways. (Odom is not being released by the team and cannot be picked up by another team for the playoffs, it would be after the deadline to add players to the playoff roster anyway.)

Mark Cuban, who had publicly backed Odom before, did not comment yet. Team GM Donnie Nelson did and sounded sympathetic.

“I know it’s been a difficult and frustrating year for our fans, for Lamar and for ourselves,” Nelson said in a news conference…. “We’ll adjust. We’ve got other guys,” Nelson said. “I really feel that we have other guys that are ready to step up. So that’s what we’ll do.”

Odom did have personal things going on — he had a 24-year-old cousin murdered over the summer, then while in New York a town car where Odom was a passenger ran over and killed a 15-year-old boy. Even before the lockout ended Odom had broached to friends the idea of taking the season off. Then, when the Lakers planned to trade him as part of the Chris Paul deal that was eventually killed by David Stern, he was even more hurt.

He requested a trade, the Lakers moved him to Dallas for basically a trade exception and a pick, but he never found a groove with the veteran team. He complained he never had a defined role, but his versatility never showed itself. He averaged 6.6 points per game on 35 percent shooting, 4.2 rebounds a game, and most nights just seemed to go through the motions.

Dallas was counting on his depth to help make up for guys let go in free agency. That didn’t happen, and the daily questions of “what is wrong with Odom” were wearing on the coach and players. So the organization cut bait and moved on.

That may be best for Odom, to get his head right and come back as a free agent somewhere next year.

1. decimusprime - Apr 9, 2012 at 4:05 PM

Didn’t Odom’s father pass away too since he was traded to DAL? I have always been a fan of Lamar because, like everyone, he has/had potential to be great. Best to take some “me” time and get his head cleared.

• Kurt Helin - Apr 11, 2012 at 12:03 AM

His father had an illness that took Odom away from the team for a stretch (severity of said illness depends on who you ask, I don’t know for sure). However, his father is alive.

2. drunkenjunk - Apr 9, 2012 at 4:40 PM

Stop making excuses for him, bad things happen to people every day. He should of showed up and at least looked interested. He looked lost most nights out there. I’m glad he’s gone.

• moseskkim - Apr 9, 2012 at 4:47 PM

Real quick.. This is not intended just for you.. I don’t get how people use of to replace have. “he should of..” please correct that because it looks bad. I see it everywhere and wanted to give a heads up.

• bjtmeyer - Apr 9, 2012 at 5:26 PM

Don’t forget about those that also say no more instead of anymore.

• bearsandjazz - Apr 9, 2012 at 5:29 PM

Real Quick—I hate idiots who post a comment about Grammer or how people phrase things. Really, you’ve got nothing better to do…..like maybe commenting on the topic. You SHOULD OF become part of the Grammer Police. Loser!

• rempokesfan - Apr 9, 2012 at 6:15 PM

Real quick… doncha just hate it when people who complain about others’ complaints involve other, entirely innocent or uninvolved people in those arguments? Neither Kelsey Grammer nor any of his former or current wives had anything at all to do with this post and yet “bearsandjazz” seems to think someone is commenting about “Grammer.”

If you’re going to refer to someone, please use that person’s first name if there might be a question about which person with the last name “Grammer” is to be referenced. Kelsey Grammer? Camille Grammer? To whom are you referring, Mr.Bearsandjazz?

I was unaware that there were enough people of the surname “Grammer” to require a dedicated law enforcement agency, but we all know how those Hollywood types can get out of line from time to time. Perhaps a Grammer Police could be useful. Maybe a Lohan Police or a Nolte Police could be of similar utility?

As I compose this, it occurs to me that you may have, instead, intended your post as a criticism of Mr. Moseskkim’s use of the forum to take issue with Mr. Drunkenjunk’s command of the language.

If this is the case, the word you wanted was properly spelled “grammar.”

Damn! Where are the Bearsandjazz Police when you need them?

• kilo0986 - Apr 9, 2012 at 6:34 PM

… real quick!

• hojo20 - Apr 9, 2012 at 7:42 PM

I should of not bothered to read these inane comments.

• lakerdownunder - Apr 10, 2012 at 1:29 AM

OK just a heads up.

If you’re going to correct language you may want to ensure yours is correct. “Real” is an adjective and you should be using the adverb “Really” since you’re describing the verb “quick”.

Alternatively you could ignore all of it…including my post!

• davidly - Apr 10, 2012 at 5:26 AM

@lakerdownunder
        Actually, the case you allude to would be when adjectives are modified by adverbs, because that is their secondary function, after that of modifying verbs. The only problem is, “quick” is neither verb – as you state here – nor adjective. It itself (hehe) is an adverb, as in: “I have something to say quickly,” with “quickly” modifying the verb “say”. So technically (as long as we’re going down this road) the intro should read “Really quickly,” thereby demonstrating the adverbs third function: modifying other adverbs.

Now, as we know, language evolves with usage. Hence, words like “quick” have become alternately (or alternatively, if you prefer) also adverbs even without the lovely “ly” adjunct.

So while many may lament the pedants of the word on the one hand, get used to all the misspellings and grammar slayings you read on sites like this one, because one day, it will all be standard.

• davidly - Apr 10, 2012 at 5:28 AM

@davidly
        You forgot an apostrophe.

3. bearsandjazz - Apr 9, 2012 at 5:35 PM

bjtmeyer and moseskkm—–You two morons should go back to meticulously folding your underwear and repainting your little toys soldiers according to height and rank. Stop waisting peoples time by posting comments about Grammer errors. Someone call Guiness, these two have never ever made a grammer mistake in their lives. You guys need get a life and maybe a wife or girlfriend who doesnt beat you with the Grammer Police Baton.

• jsharqawi - Apr 9, 2012 at 5:51 PM

Bearsandjazz. Awesome. Wish I was able thumbs up it twice…

• bjtmeyer - Apr 9, 2012 at 5:55 PM

It’s no wonder America is falling behind. Anyways, I’m glad the Mavs parted ways with Odom. He wasn’t a team player and never acted like he wanted to be there from the beginning. The Mavs will be better off without him.

• bearsandjazz - Apr 9, 2012 at 5:58 PM

Hey bjtmeyer…..you do know its “anyway” not “anyways”…..From someone so refined and educated I would certainly expect more from you.

• lakerdownunder - Apr 10, 2012 at 1:38 AM

hey bearsandjazz it’s “it’s” not “its”…but who cares…this is about basketball

• ron05342 - Apr 9, 2012 at 6:15 PM

The word “doesn’t” has an apostrophe.

• lakerdownunder - Apr 10, 2012 at 1:36 AM

OK “grammer” is not a word. The word is grammar. As in Grammar Police…noun – “Those bloggers who are soooo friggen bored at work that they spend their time incorrectly, correcting other bloggers”

4. lakerryan - Apr 9, 2012 at 6:06 PM

Grammar*

5. Doyle Rader - Apr 9, 2012 at 6:08 PM

It’s spelled grammar.

6. midnite2020 - Apr 9, 2012 at 6:16 PM

you guys are ridiculous this is sports talk not 8th grade english and I can’t stand when people say america is or have fallen behind because we’re still the country everyone wants to live in

• davidly - Apr 9, 2012 at 6:30 PM

Speak for yourself.

It should be “has fallen behind” by the way.

7. rempokesfan - Apr 9, 2012 at 6:32 PM

Clearly, Lamar Odom didn’t want to play here. While his personal troubles may, in retrospect, provide some clue to his reluctance, the facts remain that he was paid to play, and failed to do so. Benching him seemed only to create a visible reminder of his failure.

Had the Mavs released him or bought him out, we might have seen him play well for someone else – perhaps even for the hated Lakers. (Admittedly, I liked ‘em before I moved to Dallas, but that was in the Bob McAdoo days!) It makes sense to deactivate him, and get him out of sight.

Even I, short, round, and old (see also McAdoo reference) could have played 4 minutes a night with no points and no rebounds!

At least I’d have looked like I was enjoying the HELL out of the opportunity!

Good riddance! GOMAVS!

8. davidly - Apr 9, 2012 at 6:32 PM

I, for one, am glad that the He-Man Odom Haters’ Club has been derailed by the Frasier Police.

• rempokesfan - Apr 9, 2012 at 7:00 PM

Thumbs Down? Really?

You must really like Lamar Odom. Or the Lakers.

Or maybe you’ve seen me play…

• davidly - Apr 9, 2012 at 7:11 PM

I didn’t give you the thumb. And I don’t have anything against Odom. Why should I? Like you said, he’s having a bit of a rough stretch and, anyway, it’s not too much of my business; I didn’t sign his contract.

To be honest, I’m not a loyal fan to any particular team. I like the game though. Maybe you should give Cuban a call; they may need that 4 minutes. Sure you can pull it off?

9. florida727 - Apr 9, 2012 at 6:35 PM

This guy SHOULD be done. He’s 32 years old. He’s made in excess of $109 MILLION in salary over his career. For what? He’s averaged 14.6 points per game, less than 9 boards per, shooting 32% from three, 47% overall. Then this year, he’s at 6.6, 4.2 and 35%? No way somebody seriously considers this guy next year when he’s even older. Time to concentrate on the reality TV gig full time, Lamar.

10. glink123 - Apr 9, 2012 at 6:47 PM

He’s damaged goods after this incident. His NBA is officially over whether he knows it or not.

11. md23rewlz - Apr 9, 2012 at 6:48 PM

As a teacher of writing at a university, I am all in favor of people “being able to write well.” I know, it’s a crazy concept. And I’m sure that so-called “Grammar Nazis” are annoying for the rest of the world, but you know what’s cool? Reading sentences that convey their point clearly and without horrible misspellings, horrible failures in syntax, horrible anything. Those people who pointed out that this is a sports discussion thread are completely correct–because you are discussing things in a public forum, you are only embarrassing yourself when you write like a failure. Nobody is going to stop you from doing it. Just know that it is hard for me to take your opinions seriously when they are presented in glorified text speak. To paraphrase the Forest Service bear, only you can prevent your crappy sentences. And now, I will lean back in my chair and wait for the dislikes to roll in. JUST KNOW THAT I AM JUDGING YOU EVERY TIME YOU CLICK THAT THUMB.

As for the content of the article, it’s unfortunate that things had to happen the way they did with Odom. I do not expect my athletes to be robots, and I understand that he is a sensitive, non-evil human, but lordy did he have a bad season. He was like a hidden ninja of suck, and you just waited for that black hole moment when he stepped onto the court. As a Mavs fan, this is a relief. Now I just have to worry every time Dirk is having an inexplicably bad shooting game, every time Terry pulls up for a horrible shot, every time Haywood dribbles the ball, etc etc and on to the end of time.

12. lakerluver - Apr 9, 2012 at 7:23 PM

Going from the LAKERS to the Mavs would put ANYBODY in a funk. That’s akin to going from Halle Berry to Joan Rivers!!!

• drunkenjunk - Apr 10, 2012 at 7:56 AM

Is that Halle Berry with Aids? Because thats the only way the comparison is valid.

13. maddogg911 - Apr 9, 2012 at 7:29 PM

Odom you need to dump that evil girl of yours and her clan and focus solely on bball.

14. thatguywhoisactuallyamiamisportsfan - Apr 9, 2012 at 8:07 PM

Does anyone really care about Jason Terry’s opinion?

15. thegonz13 - Apr 9, 2012 at 8:19 PM

Enjoy your time off with Khloe… or is it Kourtney?

16. mike1chair - Apr 9, 2012 at 10:27 PM

sack up Lamar. no eggs.

17. highlander24 - Apr 9, 2012 at 11:06 PM

I wonder if the Lakers will pick him up this year. But then again the season is winding down, unless they want him for the playoffs.

• lakerdownunder - Apr 10, 2012 at 1:45 AM

they couldn’t sign him until next year…but I suggest they are no longer interested in him. Time to move on…

18. lakerdownunder - Apr 10, 2012 at 1:42 AM

This blog has porphed into one about Grammar Odom?

Get it? See the way I did that…??? …

19. lakerdownunder - Apr 10, 2012 at 1:43 AM

morphed*

20. cluelessdufus - Apr 10, 2012 at 8:27 AM

Shut up its not a part of the topic and your playing childish games by following it Odom wasn’t used right.Needs a team like the Lakers or Detroit

21. vikesfansteve - Apr 10, 2012 at 2:31 PM

Odom got into a fight with Dirk & Dirk slapped him around a little then they quickly showed Odom the door.

22. cowboychris5xchamps - Apr 16, 2012 at 10:09 PM

@lakerluver, are you talking about the same Mavericks team that swept the Flakers right outta the playoffs last year? Oh okay! Get a life you bum, go out on a date why don’t you!!!!

Jabari Parker injury latest for disappointing rookie class
Top 10 NBA Player Searches