Apr 9, 2012, 8:50 AM EDT
In something that was long expected, Kansas junior forward Thomas Robinson will make it official that he is entering the NBA draft at a Monday press conference.
That is what the Kansas Journal-World is reporting.
KU coach Bill Self confirmed to the Journal-World on Sunday that Robinson would be turning pro. Self indicated he would say no more until the news conference.
DraftExpress has him going No. 4 overall. Robinson finally got to spread his wings as a Jayhawk with the Morris twins gone and averaged 17.9 points and 11.9 rebounds a game and was runner up to Anthony Davis at just about everything — from AP player of the year to the national title game.
He has a real NBA power forward body at 6’10” (in shoes) and he is a strong rebounder and defender who can jump out of the building. While he scored a lot of points at Kansas he isn’t the most polished offensive player yet, but the tools are there.
A lot of other key underclassmen have yet to announce — Andre Drummond of UConn, pretty much everyone at Kentucky — but that will happen over the coming weeks. We gave you a list of underclassmen that have declared, now you can add another to it.
- Derrick Rose after first back-to-back in years: “I’m feeling good right now” 1
- Report: Rajon Rondo wants to start season with Celtics, see how things unfold 11
- Rajon Rondo’s agent denies they asked Celtics for a trade 14
- Team USA trails at the half, then pulls away for 98-77 win over Turkey at FIBA World Cup 19
- Report: Nike nearing deal to keep Kevin Durant for next 10 years 21
- Report: Rajon Rondo has told Celtics ‘he wants out’ 68
- World Cup Day 1 roundup: Brazil with big win, Andray Blatche puts on a show 5
- USA cruises past Finland in World Cup opener, 114-55 18