Apr 9, 2012, 12:23 PM EDT
This has nothing to do with his ongoing issues with coach Stan Van Gundy and everything to do with his ongoing problem with back spasms.
Dwight Howard will not play for the Magic Monday night when they take on the Pistons (and a quality young center in Greg Monroe), the team announced. Howard is questionable for Tuesday when Orlando faces Washington. Both of these are games the Magic could win without Howard. Could.
Howard’s back issues are muscular not structural, but his back needs rest.
It would take an epic collapse for the Magic to miss the playoffs — they are five games up on the nine seed with 10 to play — but they are not a team picking up momentum as the playoffs loom, either. Still, in the end what matters more than momentum is having Howard at all and they need to get his back right in the next couple weeks.
- Paul George tweets: “I’ll be ok and be back better than ever” 0
- Paul George leaves USA Basketball Showcase with severe lower leg injury, remainder of scrimmage canceled 74
- Rumor: Corey Brewer to Cleveland now part of Kevin Love trade talk 24
- Tony Parker signs (another) contract extension with Spurs 10
- Bulls owner issues statement refuting rift between Bulls front office, Derrick Rose 23
- If traded before World Cup starts could Kevin Love still play for USA? Colangelo said it’s possible. 2
- Anthony Davis steps into spotlight, is Team USA’s lynchpin 18
- Referee Violet Palmer comes out publicly as gay 49