Apr 9, 2012, 12:23 PM EDT
This has nothing to do with his ongoing issues with coach Stan Van Gundy and everything to do with his ongoing problem with back spasms.
Dwight Howard will not play for the Magic Monday night when they take on the Pistons (and a quality young center in Greg Monroe), the team announced. Howard is questionable for Tuesday when Orlando faces Washington. Both of these are games the Magic could win without Howard. Could.
Howard’s back issues are muscular not structural, but his back needs rest.
It would take an epic collapse for the Magic to miss the playoffs — they are five games up on the nine seed with 10 to play — but they are not a team picking up momentum as the playoffs loom, either. Still, in the end what matters more than momentum is having Howard at all and they need to get his back right in the next couple weeks.
- Sunday NBA grades: Golden State’s Curry, Thompson put on a show 0
- Heat execute in final minutes, Rockets still learning, fall in Miami 16
- Doc Rivers, Clippers players oppose raising NBA’s age limit 23
- Report: LeBron ‘will look at’ Knicks in free agency now that Phil Jackson is in place 69
- Phil Jackson to Knicks could work. It probably won’t, but it could. 32