Apr 9, 2012, 12:23 PM EDT
This has nothing to do with his ongoing issues with coach Stan Van Gundy and everything to do with his ongoing problem with back spasms.
Dwight Howard will not play for the Magic Monday night when they take on the Pistons (and a quality young center in Greg Monroe), the team announced. Howard is questionable for Tuesday when Orlando faces Washington. Both of these are games the Magic could win without Howard. Could.
Howard’s back issues are muscular not structural, but his back needs rest.
It would take an epic collapse for the Magic to miss the playoffs — they are five games up on the nine seed with 10 to play — but they are not a team picking up momentum as the playoffs loom, either. Still, in the end what matters more than momentum is having Howard at all and they need to get his back right in the next couple weeks.
- Jim Buss open to the idea of Kobe Bryant playing beyond this season 27
- Derrick Rose on sexual assault suit: “I am confident I will be proven innocent” 2
- Report: Kyrie Irving likely not back opening night, could be out until January 14
- Legendary Sixer, backboard-shattering dunker Darryl Dawkins dies at 58 14
- After Rio Olympics next summer, who takes over at Team USA coach? 7
- Kobe, Shaq discuss regrets over feud that ended their Lakers era 49
- NBA fines Clippers for attempting to circumvent salary cap with DeAndre Jordan 10
- The most overlooked – and maybe most significant – reason Carmelo Anthony won’t waive his no-trade clause this season 18