Allen will come off the bench for Boston, but he doesn’t like it

Apr 9, 2012, 10:06 AM EST

Ray Allen AP

Ray Allen has played in 1,147 NBA games and started in all but six of those.

But he came off the bench Sunday for the Celtics and may be doing so for the rest of the season — Allen even volunteered to do so after starting one game following his return from injury. Doc Rivers likes how Avery Bradley blends with the starters and the punch Allen gives the Celtics off the bench.

Allen, ever the professional, says will come off the bench as long as Rivers wants. But don’t expect him to like it, as reported by Jessica Camerato of CSNNE.com.

“I don’t think it can happen for me to ultimately be comfortable with these 11 or so games we have left because none of us are getting into routines as far as settling in and what are roles are, getting practice time, understanding rotations and chemistry,“ Allen said prior to the Celtics 103-79 win over the Philadelphia 76ers in which he scored 10 points in 28 minutes off the bench. “You just adapt the best way you can.”

Rivers will stick with this until it doesn’t work, then he will flip Bradley and Allen back around. It’s about what works.

But Allen is a free agent this summer who will draw a lot of interest from teams — teams that want to make him a starter. Allen is a proud man, his role on the team could play a factor in his decision. Just something to watch going forward.

As for now, Ray Allen is the supersub Doc Rivers has been hoping to find for a couple seasons now.

1. kelvinmchale - Apr 9, 2012 at 10:29 AM

“what are roles are”. Really?

2. lmoneyfresh - Apr 9, 2012 at 11:11 AM

Chicago would start him.

3. bozosforall - Apr 9, 2012 at 11:21 AM

Ray Allen should leave at the end of the season…abandon that old sinking ship. Boston isn’t winning an NBA title anytime soon.

4. bradyisbetterthanrodgers - Apr 9, 2012 at 11:56 AM

i wouldn’t count boston out. i think they have one run left in them. they are getting hot at the right time. chicago and Miami are praying that they don’t meet the celtics in the 2nd round.

5. nightman13 - Apr 9, 2012 at 1:53 PM

Jesus Shuttlesworth needs to come home to MIlwaukee

6. mornelithe - Apr 9, 2012 at 2:39 PM

It doesn’t seem like Ray’s really upset about being the supersub, more than they won’t/haven’t really had time to get the new look starters/subs practicing together and forming their own rapport with each other. As he said, you adapt to changing circumstances, but I don’t really draw the same conclusions about his quote as you are.

7. lakerluver - Apr 9, 2012 at 3:55 PM

It took me awhile to come to this realization but Doc is a great coach.

8. plmzaq - Apr 10, 2012 at 9:38 AM

You guys at Behind the Basket are indeed prudent when it come’s to b-ball

I would like to know your opinion on something.

What is the best basketball team that you can assemble?

Players of any era. Players in their Prime.

And would go through an entire 82 game season plus the Playoffs.

And does my team comes close to the one you may have?

Starting 5

Center: Shaq

Power forward: Olajuwon

Small forward: Scottie Pippen

Shooting Guard: $

Point Guard: Lebron James

Bench

Gary Payton

Kevin Garnett

Larry Bird

Ray Allen

Tim Duncan

Magic Johnson

Dirk Nowitzki

I’ve been contemplating this line up for a LONG time and it has been revised more times than I can count (Iverson, kobe, karl malone and even dennis ”freaking” rodman used to be in my roster)

You guys have also my affected my decison (the kobe hating).

Plus I know how you guys love defense and rebounding as much as you hate ball hogs (kobe).

Reasons why I put Gary Payton (almost put Rodman) and Ray Allen (the only other shooting Guard on my roster) coz they defend and don’t hog the ball.

I also tried to make my team as flawless as I possibly can.

Making them flexible and with less weakness as I possibly could.

I also know the players you may argue that shouldn’t be there and should have been there.

Shouldn’t be there:

Gary Payton

Dirk Nowitzki

Ray Allen

I put them in my roster for situation purposes.

Payton- I figure stoping/containing the opposing teams point guard (which, in these season are a dime a dozen) may have an impact on an opposing team. His offence I heard aren’t that bad and Magic can’t guard point guards ( or any position) which makes him a liability on defense. And I don’t want no weak link on my starting 5. Plus I don’t really intend to give Payton 48 minutes a game.

Ray Allen- To spread the floor and to give $ some rest on the bench. Can be a situational sub.

Dirk- To spread the floor. Will give my bigs some space to work downlow. To draw the opposing big men out. Situational sub.

Should have been there:

Bill Russel: I agree with you that he was a God in his era a 100%. If he were to play in the Olajuwon era, I personly don’t think so.

Jason Kidd: Is not the defender Gary Payton is. Not the shooter Ray Allen and Dirk Nowitzki is. And not as big as Magic Johnson is. Plus I don’t want my team to have a lot of ball domminat players. I want players that have impact even without the ball. Plus I want to use the triangle on this team a lot ala bulls of the Jordan era.

Can you guys give me an opinion on this.

Thanks!

Can Rockets, Grizzlies keep up hot starts?
Top 10 NBA Player Searches