Apr 8, 2012, 8:34 PM EDT
Tuesday is the big day — at least the NCAA says it’s the big day. The NBA says April 29 is the big day.
Let me explain (if you want more details as always DraftExpress has them). If you scan below you will see a list, courtesy our fine friends at the Associated Press, of all the college underclassmen who have announced for the NBA draft up to this point.
Under a new, unilateral NCAA rule, those players (if they have not hired an agent) have until this Tuesday (April 10) to withdraw their name from the NBA draft. Meaning if your name is still on that list as of April 11 you are in the draft.
But here’s the kicker — the NBA says you do not have to declare for the draft until April 29. Anthony Davis, the lock No. 1 pick out of Kentucky, has said he plans to take up to that deadline to make up his mind. A lot of guys are going to take their time. The thing is, after April 10 if you add your name to the draft list there is no backing out.
Why would the NCAA do this? Why would the NCAA do a lot of things? But in this case it’s to pressure players to make an early decision so that when the spring National Letter of Intent signing period opens the coaches will have a better idea of how many spots to fill. Forget about letting young men test the waters of the draft, get a real feel from teams where they stand, then make an informed decision. That doesn’t help the schools. So screw the kids, try to make them decide early.
Anyway, here is the list. Anybody on this list can back out before Wednesday, although most likely will stay in.
Harrison Barnes, forward, North Carolina
J’Covan Brown, guard, Texas
Moe Harkless, swingman, St. John’s
John Henson, forward, North Carolina
Meyers Leonard, center, Illinois
Damian Lillard, guard, Weber St.
Kendall Marshall, guard, North Carolina
Fab Melo, center, Syracuse
Arnett Moultrie, forward, Mississippi St.
Austin Rivers, guard, Duke
Terrence Ross, guard, Washington
Renardo Sidney, forward, Mississippi St.
Jared Sullinger, forward, Ohio State
Hollis Thompson, forward, Georgetown
Dion Waiters, guard, Syracuse
Maalik Wayns, guard, Villanova
Royce White, forward, Iowa State
Tony Wroten, guard, Washington
B.J. Young, guard, Arkansas
- Bruce Bowen says blame for James Harden’s defense falls on McHale, Rockets 6
- NBA to review domestic violence policies in wake of NFL’s ugliness. It shouldn’t have taken that. 11
- Cavaliers lift ban on fan who ran onto court with LeBron James shirt 14
- Blake Griffin said he knew Donald Sterling was racist, wasn’t really surprised by tape 12
- ProBasketballTalk 2014-15 Preview: Chicago Bulls 10
- Tony Parker hits a back over-the-head halfcourt shot (VIDEO) 8
- Timberwolves ‘not necessarily in a rush’ to agree to contract extension with Ricky Rubio 17
- Andray Blatche signs deal to play in China next season 11