Apr 8, 2012, 4:00 PM EDT
Larry Johnson was one of the most popular New York Knicks players of the late ’90s, and now he’s back with the team in a front office role, according to a team release (via IamaGM.com):
“The New York Knicks announced today that Larry Johnson has been named Basketball and Business Operations Representative.
“I consider coming back to work for a franchise that I had so much success with a great honor,” Johnson said. “As I move onto the next phase of my career, I have been given an opportunity to touch so many different areas of the organization – helping develop young players, connecting with the community and actively involving myself in the business of basketball. I couldn’t be more excited to get going and learn as much as I can.”
“In this new role, Johnson will work closely with the basketball operations department, focusing on player development; the community relations department, working to support the Garden of Dreams Foundation and on fan development; and the marketing and partnership departments, with involvement in numerous business initiatives.
“The author of perhaps the most famous play in franchise history, “LJ” converted a four-point play with :05.7 remaining en route to a 92-91 victory over the Indiana Pacers in Game 3 of the Eastern Conference Finals at Madison Square Garden on Jun. 5, 1999.”
It’s always nice to hear about a former player getting a shot to continue to work in basketball after his playing days are over, but really, the true purpose of bringing you this news is so we can post LJ’s insane four-point play from Game 3 of the 1999 Eastern Conference Finals.
- World Cup Preview: USA vs. Finland, what to expect 3
- James Harden on Kobe Bryant return: “He’s 20-year-old Kobe” 30
- Chris Paul discusses his signature shoe, hoops with media at launch of his Jordan Brand CP3 VIII (VIDEO) 5
- 67RIEFNS No. 1: Tom Thibodeau managing his bigs 22
- Derrick Rose knows injury questions will keep coming. And coming. And coming. 11
- FIBA World Cup preview: USA, Spain, then who else can medal? 2
- Official ‘Clippers’ Number 1 Fan’ on herself and Donald Sterling: ‘I’ll always feel it’s our team’ 21
- Cavaliers GM admits concerns about rim protection on defense 19