Knicks add Larry Johnson to team’s front office staff

Apr 8, 2012, 4:00 PM EDT

LJ-knicks

Larry Johnson was one of the most popular New York Knicks players of the late ’90s, and now he’s back with the team in a front office role, according to a team release (via IamaGM.com):

“The New York Knicks announced today that Larry Johnson has been named Basketball and Business Operations Representative.

“I consider coming back to work for a franchise that I had so much success with a great honor,” Johnson said.  “As I move onto the next phase of my career, I have been given an opportunity to touch so many different areas of the organization – helping develop young players, connecting with the community and actively involving myself in the business of basketball. I couldn’t be more excited to get going and learn as much as I can.”

“In this new role, Johnson will work closely with the basketball operations department, focusing on player development; the community relations department, working to support the Garden of Dreams Foundation and on fan development; and the marketing and partnership departments, with involvement in numerous business initiatives.

“The author of perhaps the most famous play in franchise history, “LJ” converted a four-point play with :05.7 remaining en route to a 92-91 victory over the Indiana Pacers in Game 3 of the Eastern Conference Finals at Madison Square Garden on Jun. 5, 1999.”

It’s always nice to hear about a former player getting a shot to continue to work in basketball after his playing days are over, but really, the true purpose of bringing you this news is so we can post LJ’s insane four-point play from Game 3 of the 1999 Eastern Conference Finals.

1. duanethomas - Apr 8, 2012 at 4:42 PM

Joined the front office??? Community liasion is all. If he was a boxer he would be a greeter for a casino. There are plenty of players in NBA front offices, but LJ isn’t one. Larry Bird, John Paxson, Otis Smith, to name a few are in the front office.

• henryd3rd - Apr 8, 2012 at 4:46 PM

It doesn’t matter who the Knicks place in a purely ceremonial position; what does matter is who the Knicks put on the court and how they perform. This is a non story.

2. drunkenjunk - Apr 8, 2012 at 5:33 PM

I miss grandmama.

3. jkrall920 - Apr 8, 2012 at 6:50 PM

Aren’t they still paying him as a player?

4. AlohaMrHand - Apr 8, 2012 at 7:46 PM

UNLV 1990 national champion!!

5. glink123 - Apr 8, 2012 at 7:54 PM

somebody please remind me, exactly just how much success Johnson had as a member of the Knicks? I lost track of how many championships he won, after zero.

6. dexterismyhero - Apr 9, 2012 at 9:30 AM

Really great call on the foul huh? Fouled before he came close to shooting the ball.

7. dysraw1 - Apr 9, 2012 at 11:53 AM

good for you LJ. hater’s will hate its what they do

Why can't Lakers have a player-coach?
Top 10 NBA Player Searches