Apr 8, 2012, 1:00 PM EDT
We said it at the time — be careful of what lawyers say when trying to win child support, or really any court case. They would claim Bill Gates is a pauper.
Former NBA star Dennis Rodman’s attorneys claimed he was broke and sick in court papers, but Rodman went on NBC’s Today Show Friday to dispute those claims and try to clear his reputation. The video is above, but here are the highlights.
“I am not a deadbeat dad. Yeah, I pay child support. I’m not one of the guys that made Michael Jordan money or Scottie Pippen money. I made a decent living in the NBA, but broke? I’m not broke.”
“I’m not sick, man. People have had those allegations about me since ’95. ‘Dennis parties a lot, Dennis does this.’ I’m going to do what I do. I’ve proved people wrong from day one, I’m still proving people wrong that the fact that I’m still loving it.”
Rodman also claimed that he has never tried cocaine, which would lead me to believe that he was not actually alive during the 1980s when it flowed like water. But that is what he said.
In the court papers, his attorneys said Rodman could barely afford his living expenses let alone the nearly $5,000 a month in child support. It is people close to Rodman (like his finance manager, and the attorney working pro bono for him) that say he has some serious problems.
You can look at Rodman’s lifestyle, listen to his words and decide for yourself.
- A ‘devastated’ Manu Ginobili says he has no clue how Spurs will re-energize in time for Game 7 4
- Spurs execution fails them when it matters most. Can they get it back for Game 7? 5
- Heat force a Finals Game 7 with thrilling overtime win over Spurs 7
- NBA Finals Game 6: Heat comeback in fourth, win in overtime to force Game 7 96
- PBT Extra: Talking Duncan, LeBron legacies; plus Game 6 12
- NBA Finals Game 6: Heat comeback in fourth, win in overtime to force Game 7 (98)
- If Spurs win, it is LeBron’s legacy that will take biggest hit (83)
- Lakers unlikely to sign and trade Dwight Howard to the Clippers, Rockets, or anyone else (81)
- LeBron James: “I just have to play better” (78)
- Heat’s Big Three dominate Game 4 to even the Finals at two games apiece (74)
- Heat rally to beat Spurs in Game 6
- PBT: After blowing lead, can Spurs rebound in Game 7?
- PST: On-fire Altidore lifts USA over Honduras in WCQ
- CSN: Patriots' Hernandez questioned in murder investigation
- CSN: Celtics-Clippers KG, Rivers trade talks dead
- HBT: Mets' Wheeler goes six scoreless in MLB debut
- Lolo Jones' attempt at humor backfires
- Play Video: Bosh: 'We'll see who hits first'
- Play Video: PBT Extra: LeBron's legacy at stake, Duncan's safe
- Play Video: Clippers, Celtics discussions 'can't be wrong'
- Play Video: Elliot looks ahead to Game 6
- Play Video: The Hype: How much would you pay to punch someone?
- Play Video: If Heat lose, 'all hell will break loose'