Dennis Rodman tells NBC he is not broke, is not sick

Apr 8, 2012, 1:00 PM EDT

This video is no longer available. Click here to watch more NBC Sports videos!

We said it at the time — be careful of what lawyers say when trying to win child support, or really any court case. They would claim Bill Gates is a pauper.

Former NBA star Dennis Rodman’s attorneys claimed he was broke and sick in court papers, but Rodman went on NBC’s Today Show Friday to dispute those claims and try to clear his reputation. The video is above, but here are the highlights.

“I am not a deadbeat dad. Yeah, I pay child support. I’m not one of the guys that made Michael Jordan money or Scottie Pippen money. I made a decent living in the NBA, but broke? I’m not broke.”

“I’m not sick, man. People have had those allegations about me since ’95. ‘Dennis parties a lot, Dennis does this.’ I’m going to do what I do. I’ve proved people wrong from day one, I’m still proving people wrong that the fact that I’m still loving it.”

Rodman also claimed that he has never tried cocaine, which would lead me to believe that he was not actually alive during the 1980s when it flowed like water. But that is what he said.

In the court papers, his attorneys said Rodman could barely afford his living expenses let alone the nearly $5,000 a month in child support. It is people close to Rodman (like his finance manager, and the attorney working pro bono for him) that say he has some serious problems.

You can look at Rodman’s lifestyle, listen to his words and decide for yourself.

1. metalhead65 - Apr 8, 2012 at 2:03 PM

since this freak has done nothing to deserve any pub since his over rated playing days can we please just stop hearing about him? and to hear him say he never made jordan money like we are suppose to feel sorry for him is disgusting. he may not have made that kind of money but he made plenty and I do not feel 1 bit sorry for him if he blew most of it on partying. stfu and go away!

• blueintown - Apr 8, 2012 at 2:16 PM

Overrated playing days? You should be banned from this site.

• metalhead65 - Apr 8, 2012 at 3:34 PM

he was a dirty player who was good at getting rebounds and that’s it. he never did anything when he was not surrounded by superstars like isiah thomas or jordan along with other talented players.. we saw what he was like we he played with David Robinson and was expected to do his part to help the spurs win a championship and all he did was worry about making sure he kept up his freak show to keep his name in the spotlight.

• blueintown - Apr 8, 2012 at 5:41 PM

If you knew anything – anything at all – about the game, you would know that anyone who dismisses a player because he was “good at getting rebounds and that’s it” is a certified imbecile. Would you be as cavalier to dismiss Bill Russel? Yeah, Rodman really screwed over San Antonio with his 17+ rebounds per game. Five NBA championships, seven time all defensive first team, two defensive player of the year awards, and he could lock-down all five positions on the floor. Saying he’s an odd or irresponsible dude is one thing, saying he is overrated is a crime against basketball intelligence.

• bloyaglock - Apr 10, 2012 at 10:31 AM

You’re an idiot.

• bloyaglock - Apr 10, 2012 at 10:33 AM

not too smart on the basketball topic metalhead…. stick to something you know, being a dumb fan!

• metalhead65 - Apr 10, 2012 at 12:28 PM

blow me

2. slowclyde86 - Apr 8, 2012 at 2:11 PM

I trust these comments of his can also be used in any child support proceedings. “yeah, all that stuff my lawyer said is total bs. I have tons of money.”

Secondly, not everyone who lived through the 80′s did coke.

3. rgledz - Apr 8, 2012 at 2:43 PM

@Blueintown…..I couldn’t agree more. One of the best rebounder’s the game has ever seen. Hall of Famer for good reason.

• george3246 - Apr 9, 2012 at 2:03 PM

Those of us that know basketball are with you, Blue. As a Bulls and Spurs fan, I recall “Worm” and his innate ability to squirm and slither into prime rebounding position against any and all bigs that had the misfortune to deal with him. His nickname says it all. Early in his career, some announcer said that blocking him out was like fighting an octopus. @rgledz …You hit it on the head.

Dennis has always marched to a different drummer and loved being unique. So, he was a freak show off the court. The more his show bothered the tight asses around him, the freakier he became. But Rodman rarely let his antics affect his game. As a Spur, he respected Pop and the organization so he toned it down.

I dare meathead/metalhead to do your research to find another Rodman level player in the history of the NBA. Good luck with that! His numbers tell the story.

But the immeasurable intangibles that made Rodman great were his non-stop hustle, super intellect that projected flight of ball along his agility, speed, strength and fitness to go get it over and over again like only a HOFer would.

4. jumbossportsblog - Apr 8, 2012 at 3:17 PM

Reblogged this on jumbossportsblog.

• slowclyde86 - Apr 8, 2012 at 7:22 PM

He dumbo, stop trolling for eyeballs on your embarrassing site. Go away.

• blueintown - Apr 8, 2012 at 7:23 PM

Oh, good. Now I can go there and read the story I am already reading here.

5. lakerluver - Apr 8, 2012 at 4:34 PM

@metalhead65, you’re obviously an idiot. Rodman was one of the most unique players the NBA has ever seen and most definitely NOT overrated. He was an integral part of 5 championships with his insane defense and freakish rebounding ability. The NBA hasn’t seen a rebounder like that since Rodman retired. And the dude was 6′ 7″ tall and 220 pounds. Not exactly big by NBA standards. He simply out worked EVERYBODY he faced. The Bulls wouldn’t have won their last 3 titles without him and the Pistons wouldn’t have won 2.

6. latchbeam - Apr 8, 2012 at 6:46 PM

jumbosportsblog = thief

7. glink123 - Apr 8, 2012 at 8:03 PM

Rodman made $30 million during his 3 NBA championships, and I know he was paid well prior to joining the Bulls. His career earnings top $50 million, so I really don’t know what he’s whining about.

8. jleo78 - Apr 9, 2012 at 1:29 AM

Jordan made 50 mil in aug. of 95′

9. dsims7 - Apr 9, 2012 at 9:37 AM

First I’d like to say, I was never a Dennis Rodman fan. He was a freak of nature, partied all the time, and the wedding dress gig speaks for itself. BUT……………

With that said, his numbers speak for themself!!! before you flame me, name one player currently in the NBA that could take a rebound from Dennis? One? Dennis owned the box! Chris Bosh. Noah with the bulls? Dennis would make them his b***h! and every now and then, he would drop a 3-pointer!

Why can't Lakers have a player-coach?
Top 10 NBA Player Searches