Stan Van Gundy says he’d like to return as Magic coach. Right.

Apr 7, 2012, 8:12 PM EDT

Orlando Magic v Washington Wizards Getty Images

There is nobody on the planet that thinks Stan Van Gundy will be back to coach the Orlando Magic next season. Not Jeff Van Gundy. Not Mrs. Van Gundy. Not the president of the Van Gundy Fan Club… actually, there is no Van Gundy fan club.

Yet, Stan Van Gundy is going through the motions. Here is what he said via the Orlando Sentinel:

“I don’t have a scenario in my head where I wouldn’t,” Van Gundy told the Orlando Sentinel after he was asked whether he wants to return. “They’re going to have to make decisions. But I’m a basketball coach and I know this: I don’t want to go anywhere else. I mean, I love Orlando, and this is where I want to be. And I want to coach.”

And I don’t have a scenario in my head where Kate Upton isn’t my girlfriend. Doesn’t make it reality.

There have been multiple reports that Van Gundy wanted Howard moved at the deadline to end the “will he/won’t he” soap opera. That didn’t happen. Now he makes a statement that essentially forces the Magic management to let him go or move Howard before next season — and he had to know the coach loses that battle every time in the NBA. So while he says he wants to stay, his actions say otherwise.

The Magic management are going to try and have everybody deal with this through their eventual playoff elimination. But if they lay an egg Saturday night against the Sixers like they did against the Knicks the other day, a decision may be forced upon them. And that decision is to fire Van Gundy and promote assistant Patrick Ewing into an impossible situation.

What. A. Mess.

1. Gordon - Apr 7, 2012 at 8:20 PM

This guy is a really good coach. He’ll get a job, even with the recent antics.

2. darealrandolph - Apr 7, 2012 at 8:31 PM

“Dwight re-upped for another year, but what’s to stop him from asking to be traded (again) this summer?

Howard was upset and humiliated by Van Gundy’s bombshell last week, although he denied telling the front office he wanted the coach pink-slipped.

The embarrassing fiasco has all but put the Magic back to square one in their relationship with him. It might be easier to rebuild the old imploded arena.

At least Dwight and Stan now have something in common: They’re disillusioned with the whole operation.

Management not only violated Howard’s trust, but it didn’t rush to his defense after Stan’s disclosure, either.

The Magic want an answer this summer from Howard about signing a long-term deal to avoid another trade-me drama next season. They’ll likely have to clean house first before approaching him on tiptoes and with a fruit basket.” – Orlando Sentinel

D12 and D-Will in Brooklyn Nets Uniform book it

3. darealrandolph - Apr 7, 2012 at 8:36 PM

it wont surprise me if both are gone in the off season
    DH and SVG

4. twtwigg - Apr 7, 2012 at 8:58 PM

Why is it when the Heat lose Kurt says nothing, but when they win, or any other team loses, he’s quick to highlight their issues? I can’t read a single article from you, Kurt. PBT needs a slightly less biased blogger.

5. eugenesaxe - Apr 7, 2012 at 8:58 PM

If ORL ditched howard for some workable parts, why not? I mean, except for the whole “the owner wants you gone to appease the crybaby star” part…

6. jagwar73 - Apr 7, 2012 at 9:44 PM

Dwight and the Magic’s #1 pick for the overall #1 pick. Any takers?

• darealrandolph - Apr 7, 2012 at 10:00 PM

nets will exchange #1 pick and brook lopez for DH

• raidmagic - Apr 7, 2012 at 10:03 PM

I bet they would I’ve got an old truck in my yard I’ll trade you for a new Escalade. Lol

• raidmagic - Apr 7, 2012 at 10:01 PM

not just no but HELL NO. Someone better be willing to give up more than that for Howard.

7. raidmagic - Apr 7, 2012 at 10:00 PM

Whywouldnt he? It’s a great city with a good team that he has been very sucessful coaching. They’ve had thier bumps and have said some things they wish they could take back but who hasn’t? I can see hm there next year.

8. funktron2x - Apr 7, 2012 at 10:22 PM

F it. I’ll be president of the Van Gundy Fan Club. Guy is fantastic. What other coach out there would be able to handle this mess with aplomb? Straight-shooting coaches should have a fan club.

9. vols84 - Apr 7, 2012 at 10:53 PM

See him in New York of Calipari doesn’t take the job

10. klownboy - Apr 7, 2012 at 11:24 PM

What the hell else was Van Gundy supposed to say? Orlando will be foolish to fire Van Gundy…

11. gmsingh - Apr 8, 2012 at 8:57 AM

My prediction is that Van Gundy will replace Vinnie on the Clippers. That would be a formidable combination.

12. astrosfan75956 - Apr 8, 2012 at 2:27 PM

This ish feels magic, Stan Van Gundy. -lil Wayne

13. spankygreen - Apr 8, 2012 at 8:13 PM

The admiration for SVG is understandable, but I don’t think this guy is a good coach…….Blame Howard, Blame whoever you wish but bottom line is if you;re a coach, then by God you should be able to put together a rotation or something that shows based on your ability as COACH that you should be able to overcome any whiny player or anyone else on that team to be successful…..it appears to be very easy for an inadequate coach to blame high maintenance players thus covering up that real lack of coaching and organizational skills……just saying…

What players stood out at World Cup?
Top 10 NBA Player Searches