Apr 7, 2012, 4:51 PM EST
Multiple sources close to Orlando Magic center Dwight Howard told Bright House Sports Network’s David Baumann that prior to the season, Howard indicated that he preferred the Magic would have hired Indiana Pacers associate head coach Brian Shaw or Golden State Warriors assistant coach Michael Malone to replace current Magic head coach Stan Van Gundy.
Shaw is a former NBA guard who was an assistant coach with the Lakers for 7 years, and hence has more experience with Tex Winter’s legendary triple-post offense than all but a few coaches out there. Shaw is currently an assistant coach with the Pacers. Michael Malone, the son of Brendan Malone, is one of the best-respected assistant coaches in the league, and has been an assistant coach with the Cavaliers and Hornets. He is currently an assistant coach with the Golden State Warriors.
Kevin Samples, Howard’s manager and cousin, had this to say when asked about the coaching situation:
”Dwight has nothing to do with the coach situation,” according to Kevin Samples, Howard’s manager. When asked why a coaching change wasn’t made after the Magic were bounced in the first round of the playoffs last season, Samples said, “That’s a great question. You’ll have to ask Otis (Smith).”
It certainly doesn’t seem like Dwight’s management team has a vested interest in Van Gundy keeping his job. We will, of course, continue to keep you updated on this soap opera as updates keep coming in.
- Days before he faced LeBron, Paul George said Durant is NBA’s toughest cover 14
- A day later, Kobe didn’t think he played quite so bad 11
- Why question “When did basketball get so bad?” misses mark 34
- Adam Silver: NBA to consider doing away with divisions 18
- The Extra Pass: Five quick ways to improve the league; plus Monday’s Recaps 21
- Dwight Howard frustrated with Rockets’ effort in recent losses (54)
- Why question “When did basketball get so bad?” misses mark (46)
- Durant tells “60 Minutes Sports” he’s still tired of being No. 2 (35)
- Report: Heat shopping Joel Anthony, seeking depth behind Wade (35)
- Fan wanders onto court while game is going on during Cavaliers-Clippers (VIDEO) (34)