Apr 6, 2012, 3:28 PM EDT
Remember back in 2010 Knicks owner James Dolan tried to hire former coach and franchise destroyer Isiah Thomas as a consultant, only to have the plan blow up because you can’t coach a college team and have direct ties to an NBA franchise.
Friday Thomas was canned by Florida International University after three uninspiring seasons (they were 8-21 last season).
If you just said “but the Knicks would never bring back Thomas” because he set the franchise back on the court and cost them $11 million in a sexual harassment suit, you’re using logic. That may not apply here.
The Knicks are a franchise with some talent but with the jettisoning of Mike D’Antoni one in need of direction to guide them from here. A strong voice. Someone the owner trusts.
I’m not saying the Knicks are going to hire Thomas as a consultant or anything else. I’m just asking if it would really be a surprise?
- PBT Extra: Can Phil Jackson help right the ship in New York? 8
- Phil Jackson reportedly close to taking Knicks job, nobody asked Carmelo about it 34
- PBT Power Rankings: Tell me again how the Spurs are too old…. 11
- Sunday NBA grades: All hail the unstoppable Jodie Meeks 13
- Harden’s 17 fourth-quarter points spark Rockets’ comeback win (VIDEO) 12