Apr 6, 2012, 9:02 PM EDT
It looks like everyone is going to have to deal with each other through the end of the season in Orlando. But you can bet changes are coming this summer.
Thursday coach Stan Van Gundy said Dwight Howard had gone to management and asked that he be fired. After practice Friday Howard told the press that he and coach Stan Van Gundy agreed to keep everything between them, not talk through the media.
Magic coach Van Gundy met with the media for nearly 30 minutes and used his new favorite word “irrelevant” at least a dozen times, according to the Associated Press.
Basically, Van Gundy is going to be the coach and Dwight Howard the coach through the end of the season and however long they last in the playoffs. Which, by the look of their ugly performance Thursday night against the Celtics after this story broke, is not going to be long.
Really, this all falls on the management up the ladder at Orlando. They went to Howard and said, “What do we have to do to keep you?” They virtually begged him. Howard for his part was honest and he has long not been a fan of the negative coaching style of Van Gundy. He said he’d like a new tone, which got translated to getting a new coach but never executed.
At the end of the day, it’s much easier to get a new coach — even a good one like Van Gundy — than it is an elite player. But most likely, after the botched handling of this, Magic management will have neither.
- Kevin Love pulling out of USA Basketball due to lingering likelihood of trade from Timberwolves 3
- Why are the Lakers hiring Byron Scott as head coach? 9
- Report: NBA considering week-long break for All-Star Game next year 6
- Report: Knicks made (ridiculous) offer to trade for Kevin Love 48
- Report: Lakers finally offer coaching position to Byron Scott, deal expected soon 26
- Report: Cavaliers leading Kevin Love-trade sweepstakes 41
- Chris Paul on boycott if Sterling is still owner: “That’s something me and Doc are both talking about” 32
- Players union approves of Thunder’s Josh Huestis arrangement 16