Apr 6, 2012, 9:56 AM EDT
But Cousins was the one who ended up in foul trouble, playing just 18 minutes due to it (while Griffin had a double double and even hit key jumpers late). And Cousins was pissed about how the calls went.
He was especially angry about his fifth foul, where he swiped at the ball while Griffin held it. Griffin grabbed his eye as if he were hit, but Cousins would have none of that. Decide for yourself if this is a foul:
“I guess the wind from my hand hit him in the eye,” Cousins said. “I guess he got fouled by the wind….
“(Griffin is) in L.A. where actors belong,” Cousins said. “He’s an actor, so of course he would say (that he wasn’t worried about it).”
The two teams play again Saturday.
Griffin is developing a reputation among players (and some fans) as, well, as Eric Freeman said “a jerk.” This is not the first time he has been accused of acting to draw a foul, he talks a lot on the court, plus there is a sense that he whines whenever he is touched then takes some cheap fouls the other way. His aggressiveness certainly means he gets away with some things — both of his dunks on Pau Gasol Wednesday were offensive fouls, but there were no calls.
ESPN’s Kevin Arnovitz described Griffin as playing a “confrontational” style of basketball. It gets under opponents’ skin. That doesn’t excuse the kind of cheap shot Jason Smith put on him, but you can bet other guys are going to start to push back and be physical with him.
- Lakers unlikely to sign and trade Dwight Howard to the Clippers, Rockets, or anyone else (81)
- LeBron James: “I just have to play better” (77)
- Heat’s Big Three dominate Game 4 to even the Finals at two games apiece (74)
- Report: Clippers, Celtics talks to send Garnett, Rivers to L.A. stalled (72)
- Reports: Jason Kidd finalizes deal, will be Nets new coach (62)
- Can Heat focus enough to avoid elimination?
- CSN: Bruins' defense never rests in Game 3 win
- CSN: Celtics-Clippers KG, Rivers trade talks dead
- PFT: Freed Johnson wants second chance in NFL
- PBT: Judges rules Iverson did not kidnap children
- PFT: Rodgers says Packers' moves a 'wake-up call'
- PFT: Beckham turned down chance to kick in NFL
- Play Video: PBT Extra: LeBron's legacy at stake, Duncan's safe
- Play Video: Clippers, Celtics discussions 'can't be wrong'
- Play Video: Elliot looks ahead to Game 6
- Play Video: The Hype: How much would you pay to punch someone?
- Play Video: If Heat lose, 'all hell will break loose'
- Play Video: Green breaks NBA finals 3-point record