Apr 5, 2012, 10:25 PM EST
This is how it is, so deal with it.
I doubt Orlando Magic general manager Otis Smith phrased it that way, but he and Dwight Howard and coach Stan Van Gundy sat down Thursday afternoon and talked — at least Van Gundy said they did — tweets Josh Robbins of the Orlando Sentinel.
Stan Van Gundy said he and Dwight and Otis Smith met today and are ready to move forward.
Stan Van Gundy said he expects to finish the season as the Magic coach.
Earlier in the day it didn’t seem that way. In his meeting with the media at morning shootaround Van Gundy threw Howard under the bus — because Howard had been throwing him under the bus. Van Gundy said he had been told by Orlando management that Howard had been asking to get him fired.
It became very awkward when Howard walked up to Van Gundy’s press scrum having no idea what had happened and tried to play chummy with Van Gundy. Howard was reportedly livid later — mad that he was made to look foolish and that their dirty laundry was out in public.
When asked about it after the game — repeatedly — Howard’s only answer was “next question.”
With 12 — actually 11 now after an ugly Magic loss to the Knicks Thursday — games left in the season changing the coach would have almost certainly doomed the Magic to a first round playoff loss. Of course, the distraction from all this combined with the Magic’s existing slump may do that anyway.
After the season, Orlando has a lot of things to deal with and a lot of changes are on the way — Van Gundy almost certainly is out, but getting Howard to sign a contract extension and building a team he wants to stay with are monumental challenges.
But all that will wait. For now the Magic have to deal with it.
- Three Things We Learned from NBA Monday: Is it time to mention Anthony Davis with LeBron and Durant? 0
- PBT Extra: Who should be the All-Star Game reserves? 12
- Report: Kobe Bryant “definitively coming back to play next season” 24
- Kemba Walker to have knee surgery; Hornets looking at trades for depth while he is out 5
- Kobe Bryant to have surgery on shoulder, is done for season 7
- PBT’s Weekly NBA Power Rankings: Hawks continue to fly high 5
- Kobe Bryant wanted to sign with Michael Jordan’s Wizards 7
- Pau Gasol’s trade tip put his and Marc Gasol’s All-Star futures in motion 3