Van Gundy, Howard, Magic GM meet and nothing is changing. For now.

Apr 5, 2012, 10:25 PM EDT

Orlando Magic v New York Knicks Getty Images

This is how it is, so deal with it.

I doubt Orlando Magic general manager Otis Smith phrased it that way, but he and Dwight Howard and coach Stan Van Gundy sat down Thursday afternoon and talked — at least Van Gundy said they did — tweets Josh Robbins of the Orlando Sentinel.

Stan Van Gundy said he and Dwight and Otis Smith met today and are ready to move forward.

Stan Van Gundy said he expects to finish the season as the Magic coach.

Earlier in the day it didn’t seem that way. In his meeting with the media at morning shootaround Van Gundy threw Howard under the bus — because Howard had been throwing him under the bus. Van Gundy said he had been told by Orlando management that Howard had been asking to get him fired.

It became very awkward when Howard walked up to Van Gundy’s press scrum having no idea what had happened and tried to play chummy with Van Gundy. Howard was reportedly livid later — mad that he was made to look foolish and that their dirty laundry was out in public.

When asked about it after the game — repeatedly — Howard’s only answer was “next question.”

With 12 — actually 11 now after an ugly Magic loss to the Knicks Thursday — games left in the season changing the coach would have almost certainly doomed the Magic to a first round playoff loss. Of course, the distraction from all this combined with the Magic’s existing slump may do that anyway.

After the season, Orlando has a lot of things to deal with and a lot of changes are on the way — Van Gundy almost certainly is out, but getting Howard to sign a contract extension and building a team he wants to stay with are monumental challenges.

But all that will wait. For now the Magic have to deal with it.

1. dolphinatic - Apr 5, 2012 at 10:36 PM

Classic. When he walks up and acts all chummy. Tries to make Ron Stan Van Jeremy look like a chump for Jameer Nelson. Hows that pie taste Dwight? Nice timing, oh and I love the effort in the game tonight.

2. vstyle23 - Apr 5, 2012 at 11:06 PM

Let’s bring in Phil Jackson to be the GM and get Brian shaw to be the head Coach. Sounds great to me. If not that Phil, it sounds like we need the other Phil, Dr. Phil

3. vstyle23 - Apr 5, 2012 at 11:08 PM

Dwight Howard fatigue is going into overdrive!!! Over Rated!!!!
    I guarantee to you that Anthony Davis will be WAY better than Dwight Howard! Mark my words

• spankygreen - Apr 6, 2012 at 9:33 AM

vstyle23… you are a v-fool……

4. darealrandolph - Apr 5, 2012 at 11:38 PM

Trade Dwight Howard for the rights to the overall number one pick (whoever ends up with it)! Seems like a fair deal to me & the nets most likely get that pick which means d12 get his wish he and d-will will play in Brooklyn and magic get brook Lopez and 1st overall # one pick that sound like a fair deal.

5. darealrandolph - Apr 5, 2012 at 11:38 PM

they need to trade d12 I’m a fan of him but they need to trade him cuz their so much turmoil on that Orlando Franchise and this is coming from a true knicks fan

6. anderds1 - Apr 5, 2012 at 11:50 PM

OK, so I want a trade, I don’t want a trade, I want a trade, I don’t want a trade. OK, so I’m staying because I’m too loyal, but I’m not loyal too my coach. I’m not loyal too my GM. I’m not loyal to my teammates, who annonomously stated, “It’s not Stan, there’s only one guy that’s running this franchise.” While I think Van Gundy relies too much on the 3, I wish Dwight was traded before the deadline and the Magic could start over.

7. seattlesuperchronic - Apr 6, 2012 at 12:02 AM

Stan Van is the man. He’s under appreciated.

8. pistolpete0903 - Apr 6, 2012 at 12:21 AM

Not a big fan of Dwight, but this act of Gundy is as unprofessional as it gets.
    Should have kept in house.

9. bottlemerchant - Apr 6, 2012 at 12:39 AM

Oh, and he’s a LIAR too! BITCH. Classless, egotistical fool. So glad he constantly makes himself look like a total jackass.

10. cured76 - Apr 6, 2012 at 12:50 AM

Dwight better be careful. Some Magic players like SVG. When he goes (because he has to at this point), it WILL be on Dwight to make it right. If this saga continues with a new coach, people will look at Lebron as a saint. If he wants to be well-liked, the first step is to shut his mouth. The second step would be to develop a post game. And the list goes on from there.

What really bothered me was as the final seconds ticked off, he was smiling and egging on the Knicks fans to cheer more. If I’m a Magic player, what do I make of my “star player” doing something like that and attracting attention to himself?

This situation has been textbook what NOT to do as a player, coach or organization.

I guess we’ll see what D12 is worth these last couple weeks; if he continues to pout and play like he did tonight, it should send a clear signal to Orlando they need to DUMP HIM.

11. urodaddy07 - Apr 6, 2012 at 12:59 AM

Don’t see that Van Gundy has to go.why does he have to? This is an assumption. I agree, it seems te likely outcome, but a smart GM should think are fully about this.

12. detroitcityryda - Apr 6, 2012 at 1:01 AM

I bet Lebr0n had something to do with this he probably called the meeting just to get Stan fired today , didn’t work Lebron your evil plans always fail , ye’hear?

13. urodaddy07 - Apr 6, 2012 at 1:05 AM

If the Magic progress deep into playoffs, SVG stays. Don’t foresee a long post-season run for Orlando though – Howrdvis not enough of a 4th quarter player, can’t make free throws, game too limited. He needs to develop a more versatile game.

14. cup0pizza - Apr 6, 2012 at 1:46 AM

Dwight Howard seems like a dick.

15. slowclyde86 - Apr 6, 2012 at 5:45 AM

Dwight Howard: Big body, small mind.

16. klownboy - Apr 6, 2012 at 6:21 AM

The Magic is going to get played by Dwight Howard BIG time. Should have traded him when it had the chance…

• somekat - Apr 6, 2012 at 10:05 AM

Obviously har hitting journalism. Any time “getting played” appears in the headline, it is obviously a well written document

• klownboy - Apr 6, 2012 at 10:17 AM

Why thank you lol…

17. dsims7 - Apr 6, 2012 at 8:16 AM

Not a fan of DH or the team, but this dude is a dick! Trade him to OT or Sacramento where no one cares! Better yet, Send him to Europe or Japan with Allen Iverson!

18. schroedernexus - Apr 6, 2012 at 8:18 AM

He should’ve just left for New Jersey. They should move him in the offseason.

19. somekat - Apr 6, 2012 at 10:02 AM

I will say this. If nothing else, the options for trading Howard just opened up big time. At this point, what team would want them on their roster?
    He is not going to play better than he is with the Magic. The team was built around him, for him, to accent his strengths, and hide his weaknesses. The only way that happens on another team, is if it is a bad team. What good team would want to pay the price he will cost, then bring this cancer in to their locker room?
    He’s done a fantastic job of driving down his trade price. Crazy like a fox I say

20. dsims7 - Apr 6, 2012 at 10:58 AM

@somekat, you hit the nail on the head! Allen Iverson? Terrell Owens? Ricky Owens (Harrisburg, PA native BTW!) Randy Moss? Charles Barkley? I can do this all day! If DH, and the others I mentioned, would have kept their mouth shut and just played, they would have gotten long term outragous contracts.

What happens now, no one wants the cancer in their locker room. DH will say he will change, but who is going to trust his word to a 6-year $60million deal? No one. he will get a 2 – 3 year deal @$15Million maybe. When that deal is up, he is old news and no team will want him when they can get some young hott shot from Kansas, Duke, or North Carolina at a bargin!

Oh, one last thing, I guess all that religious crap that he talked about on Jay Leno and how he liked and respected Tim Tebow is out the window?

21. scobbalobba - Apr 6, 2012 at 11:41 AM

Hey Dwight, come to Brisbane Australia and play for the Brisbane Bullets when they re-form for the next NBL season, you can bring the local Seven 11 guy to coach for all I care

22. scobbalobba - Apr 6, 2012 at 11:50 AM

@vstyle 23
    Isn’t Dr Phil going to manage the Yankees next season ?

23. nokoolaidcowboy - Apr 6, 2012 at 1:03 PM

That clip was uncomfortable for ME as a viewer. Howard came out looking two faced and like a guy you should not turn your back on.

24. fanz928 - Apr 6, 2012 at 3:01 PM

Dwight Howard demands double team changes the rythm of the game so in other words stats doesn’t show what d12 does on the floor. Any team would want him but they just need a commitment

25. darealrandolph - Apr 7, 2012 at 4:14 PM

Deron Williams would love to play for his home town team but it not going to happen cuz their no young star that going to join him Dallas therefore i see Deron Williams staying in Brooklyn and also you will see Dwight Howard leave Orlando through a trade in the off season cuz Orlando newspaper,fans will blame him for SVG and Otis smith firing which he wants no involvement and Brooklyn Nets will have young prospects to give Orlando (Brook Lopez, if the land him in the draft Anthony Davis,Marshon Brooks plus take Hedo Turkgolu of there books) in that case you will see Deron Williams and Dwight Howard opening up the new arena in Brooklyn not Dallas or even LA.

The list of championship contenders
Top 10 NBA Player Searches