Knicks coach wants J.R. Smith to be more professional – and pull up those pants

Apr 5, 2012, 6:03 PM EDT

Woodson JR Smith AP

Knicks coach Mike Woodson didn’t quite yell “get off my lawn” at J.R. Smith, but pretty much.

Remember that Smith got ejected with 10.7 seconds left in the Knicks loss to the Pacers Tuesday, picking up a flagrant 2 foul for throwing Leandro Barbosa to the ground (the league did not fine him and reduced it to a Flagrant 1).

Woodson, ever the disciplinarian and father figure, had a long talk with Smith Wednesday after practice (in full view of reporters) about being more professional.

Thursday — after shoot around before the Magic game (for once the Knicks do not have the most dysfunctional coaching situation in the building) — Woodson spoke more about Smith and professionalism. And according to the quotes in the New York Post, he morphed into your grandfather.

“I told him I’m going to continue to coach him as long as I’m coaching the team,” Woodson said at the Thursday morning shootaround at Amway Center. “I told him I’m not going to let him off the hook. I want his shorts pulled up. I want him to look presentable. Be a professional. That’s what it’s all about.’’

Asked specifically how he wanted Smith to be more professional, Woodson said, “On and off the court. On the floor I want him to be happy when he’s playing, feel good about himself. When things go bad, I don’t want that look on his face that the world is coming down on him. We make mistakes and we miss shots. It’s OK.’’

It’s a line to walk — Smith plays with an edge, and that part of his game comes out of his entire persona. You may want Smith to pull up his shorts or “feel good about himself” but you don’t want him to lose that edge either.

Actually, I’m not all that worried about Smith losing his edge. But I guess he could pull his pants up for a few more weeks.

1. surly1n1nd1anapol1s - Apr 5, 2012 at 6:55 PM

I wish the chick in Milwaukee pulled up her pants. Wide load.

2. granadafan - Apr 5, 2012 at 7:07 PM

A grown man who still wears his pants off his a$$? It’s clear JR Smith has no class whatsoever.

3. 4thquartermagic - Apr 5, 2012 at 7:16 PM

Please…. JR is who JR is and he ain’t changing for nobody.

If killing your best friend because you ran a stop sign doesn’t get you to grow up, then nothing will.

BTW JR Smith isn’t one of these rag to riches stories either. He grew up fairly wealthy so he’s been a spoiled talent his entire life.

4. fm31970 - Apr 6, 2012 at 1:31 AM

*smirking*

Sincerely,

George Karl

5. kxlllxst - Apr 6, 2012 at 2:01 AM

George Karl doesn’t have the balls to question one of his guys like that. This article is evidence of a great job of coaching by Woodson. He laid down the law, in the nicest way possible. The balls in JRs court now. He played great tonight, pants high and all. Kid has made mistakes so far, but no reason to write the rest of his career off

6. adnan604 - Apr 6, 2012 at 4:16 AM

you guys need to realize who that chick in Milwaukee is, it aint some local broad and she looked fat, but she’s actually a model named Tahiry who has dated a few rappers.

She is very well known for her ridicilous behind, just google her name and you’ll see she’s pretty good looking actually/….. appeared in a LOT of magazines as well

7. illegalblues - Apr 6, 2012 at 1:22 PM

yeah dude, that’s just what J.R. Smith needed to grow up. i can’t believe no one else thought to talk to him and tell him to pull up his britches

Warriors vs. Clippers playoff preview