Apr 4, 2012, 7:59 AM EDT
Even Kobe Bryant‘s most ardent supporters have to admit he has put up some terrible shots at the end of games, highly contested fade-away threes. But this time he is the best option on the play and gets a shockingly open look.
To set the stage: The Lakers are up one (because of an earlier Kobe bucket) and there are 11 seconds left in the game but just 2 seconds left on the shot clock. Traditionally in this situation the priorities are: 1) do not allow the easy inbound pass under the basket for a layup; 2) stick with Kobe.
The Nets forgot the second part of that. After the game Kobe was asked how he got that wide open and he jokingly said “because Pau (Gasol) finally set a good screen.” Gerald Wallace does get picked off by a Gasol screen but with two seconds left to shoot you switch everything and Kris Humphries doesn’t, he stays with Gasol, too. By the time Wallace gets free Kobe has popped out, gotten the ball and gotten a good look at a three. It’s a good shot.
But it rattles around a lot. That is a shooter’s roll.
- Report: Dwight Howard not going to Clippers… did we need a report for that? 0
- Alonzo Mourning says Scottie Pippen says LeBron would “kick Jordan’s ass” 14
- Spurs shut down Zach Randolph in Western Conference Finals’ first major strategic move 0
- Report: Terrence Williams arrested in domestic violence case involving threats with a gun 5
- Kobe was never going to retire this summer, says so on twitter 16
- Knicks predictably drop Game 4 to Pacers, fall behind 3-1 (93)
- Report: Dwight Howard will consider multiple teams in free agency, is said to be most intrigued by the Rockets (90)
- Kobe Bryant responds to Michael Jordan comparison from Phil Jackson (84)
- Bradley Beal said he’d lose respect for a teammate who acted like Derrick Rose (67)
- LeBron James shrugs off claims he’s a flopper (64)
- Parker carves up Grizzlies as Spurs roll in Gm. 1
- PHT: Senators sneak past Penguins in two overtimes
- PHT: Bruins crack Lundqvist, hammer Rangers
- HBT: Cabrera rips three homers, passes Greenberg
- MST: No bumping on Bump Day at Indy 500
- PBT: Spurs have too much offense for Grizz in Gm. 1
- PST: Arsenal grabs Champions League spot
- Play Video: Grizzlies ready for 'running' Spurs
- Play Video: Durant won't 'compromise himself' like other stars
- Play Video: Knicks avoid elimination
- Play Video: Heat finish off Bulls, James 'has no energy left'
- Play Video: Health woes make Heat vulnerable
- Play Video: Good news for Sacramento, Kings stay