Apr 4, 2012, 9:47 PM EST
David Stern took a moment to address the Kings arena situation in Utah before Wednesday’s game against the Suns. Brian Smith of the Salt Lake Tribune has been a great resource for the Kings arena information and he brought this quote to print:
Stern on how he feels about the Kings staying in Sacramento, compared to when a tentative deal was reached during All-Star weekend:
You know, I’m more hopeful than I am confident right now. I’m hopeful because the city of Sacramento has between last meeting and this, has been responsible for responding on a sponsorship basis, on a ticket basis and on allocating $250 million or so for a new arena. In basically a week — what’s today? Wednesday — in a week, our owners will be coming in for meetings next Thursday and next Friday, and we’ll be having the Maloofs in to talk with some group of them and we’ll see where it’s going. Very, very hopeful that it gets on track, because the owners have a respect for the Maloofs. And I think the owners also have an enormous respect for what Sacramento has done over the years in supporting an NBA franchise. And it’s always been our first preference — particularly when government agencies or states are helpful — to keep a team where a team is if they’re playing in a good facility.
Despite Stern’s downgrade from ‘confident’ to ‘hopeful,’ this should come across as pretty good news to Kings fans. The city has hit all of the marks on Stern’s list, and by making remarks about how the owners respect the Maloofs – he’s making the not-so-subtle implication that he expects them to continue earning that respect.
As I wrote earlier today, all eyes will be on the Board of Governors meetings on April 12-13 when the NBA is expected to decide what to do about the Maloofs’ recent refusal to pay arena pre-development costs.
- The Extra Pass: Five quick ways to improve the league; plus Monday’s Recaps 0
- Monday night NBA Grades: DeMarcus Cousins was in beast mode 0
- PBT Extra: Kobe Bryant is back, doesn’t have much time to get it right 4
- It’s official, Clippers agree to terms with Stephen Jackson 4
- PBT NBA Power Rankings: At the quarter pole Portland takes the lead 18
- LeBron says Wade is “getting that Kobe deal” in next contract. Should he? (65)
- Dwight Howard frustrated with Rockets’ effort in recent losses (52)
- Kobe Bryant dunks, looks good in Lakers practice; Friday return possible (47)
- The Extra Pass: Our awards at the quarter pole, plus Monday recaps (43)
- Durant tells “60 Minutes Sports” he’s still tired of being No. 2 (35)