Apr 4, 2012, 12:53 PM EDT
No real surprise here — it was almost a surprise he went back for his sophomore year — but Ohio State’s Jared Sullinger is declaring for the NBA draft, reports ESPN.
The team will make a formal announcement Wednesday afternoon.
Sullinger is a lock top-10, maybe top 5 pick in the draft (DraftExpress currently has him No. 6). He played the five in college but is an old-school, back-to-the-basket four in the NBA (although he has range and shot 42 percent on threes last season). He has great footwork and strength around the basket and a solid fundamental game with fantastic hands and touch. He’s not an explosive athlete — he does not play above the rim — but he can get a shot and finish with a variety of moves.
Because he’s not wildly athletic some teams will balk and pass on him, but those are probably the same teams that would have passed on Kevin Love for the same reasons. Not that Sullinger is or will be at the level of Love, but to think a guy can’t be effective inside below the rim in the NBA is a mistake.
- George Hill says only God is scarier to face than LeBron James 0
- LeBron James commits two costly turnovers in final minute of Game 2 loss to Pacers 12
- Pacers find their offense, find balance, find Heat’s respect 15
- Pacers get big games from Roy Hibbert and Paul George, take Game 2 from Heat to even the series 25
- LeBron James-Paul George matchup reaches awesome levels in Game 2 10
- Report: Dwight Howard will consider multiple teams in free agency, is said to be most intrigued by the Rockets (124)
- Alonzo Mourning says Scottie Pippen says LeBron would “kick Jordan’s ass” (83)
- LeBron’s triple-double, game-winner in overtime lead Heat to Game 1 win over Pacers (70)
- If Phil Jackson could have any player to start a team it would be… Bill Russell (61)
- Pacers advance to the Eastern Conference Finals with Game 6 win over Knicks (60)
- Pacers even series with Heat
- Penguins bounce Senators | Highlights
- MST: Rosberg wins pole in Monaco | Highlights
- Tennis.com: Can anyone stop Serena at French?
- Tennis.com: Is French still Nadal's to lose?
- Tigers' Sanchez loses no-hitter in 9th vs. Twins
- PST: Report: Openly gay Rogers to play for Galaxy