Apr 3, 2012, 8:50 PM EDT
As we steam toward the NCAA’s rather ridiculous deadline of April 10, more and more players are declaring for the NBA draft. Here is the Tuesday crop (which doesn’t include the Kentucky guys we know are going pro because they are still celebrating).
• Washington’s freshman guard Tony Wroten Jr. has declared for the draft. He’s the kind quick guard with size (6’5”) who can get into the lane that is the hot trend in the NBA, and he has good court vision. But he has no outside shot (16 percent from the college three last year), no right hand to speak of, and questionable defense. So all that needs to improve. DraftExpress likes his potential and has him going No. 20.
• As expected, Weber State junior point guard Damian Lillard is going pro — he is the best guy in this draft you have not seen. He’s a quick, athletic 6’2” PG who is a likely lottery pick (DraftExpress says No. 13) — if a team has the guts to explain picking a small college guy to their fans. He averaged 24.5 points per game on 15.2 shots (with the opposing defense keyed on him) and knocked down 43 percent of his threes.
• Teams looking for size may consider Illinois sophomore center Meyers Leonard, who has declared for the draft. At 7’1” and 245 he has an NBA body, is fairly quick for his size and can defend — that should have him going in the late lottery (DraftExpress says 15) but he has a long way to go on the offensive end of the court.
- James Harden and Dwight Howard show Mavericks what they’re missing in Rockets’ Game 1 win 7
- Derrick Rose looks like his old self as Bulls beat Bucks in Game 1 16
- Warriors strong enough to outlast Anthony Davis and Pelicans in Game 1 7
- Paul Pierce leads Wizards to overtime Game 1 win over Raptors 6
- Q&A: Corey Brewer on trade from Timberwolves, his 51-point game, Harden’s MVP case, Rockets vs. Mavericks 3
- PBT First Round Playoff Previews: Los Angeles Clippers vs. San Antonio Spurs 10
- Why the 2015 NBA playoffs feel wide open – but probably shouldn’t 6
- PBT Extra: Houston, Dallas simply do not like each other 3