Apr 3, 2012, 10:48 AM EDT
Here is our daily look around the NBA — links to stories worth reading and notes to check out (stuff that did not get its own post here at PBT) — done in bullet point form. Because bloggers love bullet points.
• What college coaches would make good NBA coaches. We hear a lot of talk about John Calipari (and will now until the Knicks pick a coach for next season) but the wise David Thorpe of ESPN thinks Butler’s Brad Stevens is a better fit at the NBA level.
• The New Yorker has a story about John Calipari and World Wide Wes, and how that relationship in no way officially helps Kentucky basketball. Nope. Nothing to see here, move along.
• Would the real Los Angeles Clippers please stand up. Please stand up. Please stand up.
• Andrew Bynum is officially day-to-day for the Lakers, who face the Nets Tuesday and the Clippers Wednesday.
• With his election to the Hall of Fame, the Lakers will retire the number of “Silk” — Jamaal Wilkes — next season.
• Here is a great look at why Wilkes belongs in the Hall of Fame.
• Sunday there were a lot of people ripping the Heat for fighting over the top on the pick against Rajon Rondo. It was more complex than that, and maybe the Heat learned something that could help if they meet in the postseason.
• While we’re talking awards, the Bulls’ Tom Thibodeau and the Spurs’ Gregg Popovich were named the NBA Eastern and Western Conference Coaches of the month for March.
• Good thoughts from Kevin Pelton on why “tanking” by letting your young players gain real experience is a pretty smart play.
• Playing the kids is exactly what Paul Silas says he is going to do the rest of the way in Charlotte.
• Stephon Marbury says even if the Knicks ask he would not return to them. He doesn’t really need to be worried about facing that situation anyway.
• Stefhon Hannah is a guy who earned a spot in the D-League in one of those mostly-for-publicity open tryouts, and now he’s playing a key role in the D-League finals.
• Cavaliers guard Daniel Gibson had surgery on his foot to repair a torn ligament Monday. Don’t expect him back this season.
- Reports: Paul Pierce agrees to three-year, $10 million contract with Los Angeles Clippers 4
- Report: LaMarcus Aldridge rules out Lakers in free agent decision 78
- Reports: Phoenix Suns sign Tyson Chandler, re-sign Brandon Knight, try to reshape roster 8
- Kevin Love will return to Cavaliers, contract is reportedly $110 million over five years 77
- Report: Spurs reach deal to trade Tiago Splitter to Hawks, create cap space for LaMarcus Aldridge offer 26
- Report: Heat, Goran Dragic agree to five-year deal worth $90 million 45
- Report: Paul Millsap had midnight meeting with Orlando, will decide between Magic and Hawks 17
- Report: Blazers, Damian Lillard nearing agreement on five-year max contract extension worth $120 million 17